[nagdu] Dogs and Pet Birds

Nicole Torcolini ntorcolini at wavecable.com
Thu Jul 31 02:44:37 UTC 2014

I think that you are doing all of the right things. You could also see what
the dog thinks of the birds by putting them in their cages and letting the
dog walk around off leash. If the dog approaches the bird cages, monitor the
dog very closely. If the dog shows too much interest in them, redirect the
dog to something, such as calling the dog or telling the dog to go somewhere
else. You can usually train a dog to not go in a certain area as well as to
stay in one, so you could train the dog to stay on a towel or dog bed unless
called and to not go into the bird cage area. I know that this would not
keep the animals completely separated, but it would at least give the birds
a place to go if they felt unsafe. Likewise, you might want to consider
keeping some kind of crate of dog house where your dog can go into it. The
dog might not like the birds and might want to get away from them. If you
have a crate but want to keep it somewhere else, you could get one of the
cloth folding crates to have as a second crate.

Nicole and Lexia

P.S. I know some pretty funny bird stories, so email me off list if you want
to hear them.