[nagdu] Fighting like cats and dogs

Daryl Marie crazymusician at shaw.ca
Thu Jul 31 21:54:52 UTC 2014

Hey, mark!
We have three cats, and they each have reacted to Jenny in different ways. I think it is far easier to train the dog than the cats.

The first thing to remember between cats and dogs is that their languages are basically opposite:
Dog showing cat its bum: Hi! I am friendly! Check me out!
Cat showing dog its bum: I am showing you blatant disrespect

Cats greet each other by touching noses, dogs greet each other by sniffing bums. So if a dog wants to sniff a cat's bum, lick it, whatever, kitty is not OK with this.

Having the dog on leash near the cat will enable you to feel what the dog is doing so that you can tell if he's going to snap at it. Praise the dog profusely if you know they aren't snapping at the cat.

If you want to write me offlist, I would be more than happy to help.

Daryl