[nagdu] My Letter to the Reporter

Craig Heaps via nagdu nagdu at nfbnet.org
Mon Jun 2 04:52:49 UTC 2014

I have shared my opinion hear about the story of the service dog that pooped
on the plane.  But I thought it was only fair to share my thougths as well
with the reporter who wrote the story.

Here is the email I sent him:

Mr. Wood:

Judging from the comments on the forums for guide dog users, you might be
getting some negative reactions about the story you wrote regarding the
service dog that pooped on a plane, forcing it to be diverted.

Because of that, I'm writing to reassure you.

I am a guide dog user and a recently retired journalist.  During my career
of nearly forty years, I reported for organizations such as CNN and KTVU in
Oakland/San Francisco.  In addition to both local and national coveage in
the United States, I also had overseas assignments in places such as Bosnia,
Uganda and Cuba.  I did all of that while legally blind.  Since graduating
from Guide Dogs for the Blind in San Rafael, California last July, I have
flown a few times with my guide dog.

I thought your report was factual, fair and had good perspective.  I also
thought it was well worthy of coverage, an extraordinary situation in a mode
of transportation that serves millions every year.

Best regards,

Craig Heaps