[nagdu] broken ankel and more

Jessica Roberts via nagdu nagdu at nfbnet.org
Wed Jun 4 02:39:39 UTC 2014

Hi all,
Its been a while since I've written.
I came home with Garbo my female yellow lab on April 10th.
She is such a wonderful dog and I can't believe we've been home for
almost 2 months.
We got back into the swing of things and she does routes like she has
always done  them.
She amazes me.
Unfortunately, about a week and a half or 2 weeks after I got home I
got very, very sick, pneumonia type sick.
Just as I was getting over that on May 8th, I was walking my son to
daycare int eh early morning, my husband behind me.
My back was hurting as it sometimes does, and I was jsut not doign
well, my body was jsut tired from being so sick.
I thought we were at a poitn in our route wehre you have to step back
and allow the dog ot go in front of you and follow her to the right,
so I did that, and accidentally stepped too far, was not at the right
spot, my mistake completely, and fell off a 1 and a half foot drop
intot he street.
My girl came to me, even though I dropped the handle, and licked my
face, whining, she thought it was her fault and it wasn't.
I cralwed on teh sidewalk, and cried, it hurt so incredibly much.
Somehow I got back up and somehow leaning on her and my husband got
Noah to daycare.
I then got on a bus, you see I was on teh way to take my biology final.
However the pain got worse and worse and I was about to puke on the
bus, so when we got to the transfer point we got off and got a cab to
the hospital.
The exrays were inconclusive.
It was so swollen they couldn't see.
The next week I went to the ortopedic, and they did more exrays, and
sure enough there was a hairline fracture, along with tendon damage
and swelling on and around the bones.
They put me in a brace that goes on my foot and all the way to my
knee, it keeps the ankel still, and I use crutches or a cane,
depending.
Up until yesterday my husband has been feeding, relieving, etc. Garbo
because I simply couldn't, and still can't to a large degree but have
started while holding onto him takign ehr out once a day to workon our
bond.
She still listens well to me, I'm just hopign she wont' have lost her
training when I can work her once more.
TSE said they'd send an instructor and a balance handle out to me once
I'm healed more.
She is such a tropper just lying quietly and playing sometimes thorugh all this.
Does anyone have recommendations of things I can do with her to work
on our bond or to make sure her guide work doesn't go away?
Also does anyone have tips for practicing off leash recall and being
able to enforce it, she comes to me sometimes but only when she wants
to and that's frustrating.
Thanks so much and sorry for the rambling.
Jessica