[nagdu] My dog blog

Raven Tolliver via nagdu nagdu at nfbnet.org
Wed Jun 4 16:24:43 UTC 2014

Oh gosh, this blog takes me back 2 years. I'll never forget my first
day with the Golden Guy. I almost cried out of sheer frustration. That
whole first week, he was incredibly stubborn at the most inconvenient
times. In harness, he was perfect, but on-leash out and about, he
wouldn't stay down, wouldn't sit, kept jumping up, especially when he
saw his trainer, would bark and growl and try to play with other dogs.
Man! I too had the problem of getting him to stay laying down during
meals; I thought I would never finish our first meal together. If I
was as proficient in dog training then as I am now, I truly believe
that day would have been a million times better. It's hard to think
that the dog who appeared to me as a stubborn son-of-a-gun is truly an
easy to train, incredibly obedient, and eager to please creature who
is stubborn at the right times in all the right ways. Those first few
days, I almost asked the class supervisor where the heck they put the
golden retriever they promised me, but I saw the good-natured,
laid-back golden shine through at the end of that first week.
Good to see that your training is going well, and I wish you and Bill success.

Raven