[nagdu] Dogs finding things here and abroad

Dan Weiner dcwein at dcwein.cnc.net
Thu Jun 5 16:18:25 UTC 2014

Now here is a question.
Having looked over the archives I see Viviana asks about the differences
between guide dogs here and abroad.
This  queery, , coupled with our thread about finding the light poles or the
button etc brings me to a question:.

Dog guide handlers, users, whatever you want to say from other countries
tell me about their dogs being trained to find seats, poles, really all
sorts of things and it does seem from talking to them (some of them I do
trust as I've known them for years) it seems that the dogs are successful at
doing this and really are good at it right out of training.
In the case of all of my dogs, they have learned but it has taken me halling
butt and working really hard at it to get it  to be consistent.
This is not only the case with me but with most or all of my dog guide using
friends here.

Also the web sites and literature from the guide dog organizations abroad
talk about the dogs being trained to find myriad things, seats, bus stops
mail boxes, doors (the dog putting their nose on the handle), benches, many
many things.
So, are the dogs in Europe say taught in a mmore consistent way to dfind
things and then why isn't it that our dogs aren't?

Curious to hear points of view on this or maybe say, from our Swedish guide
dog user here as to how things aare there and opinionions from everyone on
this subject.

Cordially,

Dan and the Parker Pup