[nagdu] FW: dog food

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 13:12:13 UTC 2014

Rachel,
Dogs can get sick from any processed food. The number one problem with
dogs and cooked food is allergies. There are far too many dogs that
can't have chicken, beef, lamb, and meats that dogs are perfectly able
to process when it is raw and unenhanced. Also, processed foods use
carbohydrates which are highly problematic for dogs. Dogs are not
meant to process grains, potatoes, fruits and veggies, so it catches
up with them in the form of allergies, ear infections, hot spots, anal
gland issues, and so on. The problem with fruits and veggies is that
these kinds of foods feed inflammation. Feeding inflammation
contributes to arthritis, pancreatitis, the allergic response, and
also establishes the foundation for cancer, or feeds cancer if the dog
already has it. Cooking grains and meats also creates carcinogens and
toxins, especially at the high temperature kibble is cooked at.
Below is a great article on carbs in food fed to dogs. And following
are links to more research.

Carbohydrates. Good or Bad?
Lew Olson PhD Natural Health
http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/carbohydrates-good-or-bad/
I occasionally get questions from folks on which carbohydrates are
best for their dog's diet. These questions are asked regardless of
whether they are feeding home cooked diets, various commercial dog
foods that use grainless recipes or for dogs with special needs.
Carbohydrates include all vegetables, fruits and grains. Carbohydrates
are made up of chains of sugar and there are differences in these
chains from simple sugars (white refined sugar, honey, and molasses
white flour and fruit juice) to complex carbohydrates (grains such as
oats, rice, barley to vegetables, beans, lentils, pears and potatoes).
Commercial Pet Food
Commercial dog foods all contain carbohydrates. These foods offer
fiber (to help with firm stools), a less expensive food ingredient and
to aid in the ability for dry foods to maintain a longer shelf life.
While they serve a purpose in this regard, they also add some
liabilities. Carbohydrates make stools larger and have more odor, and
they offer less nutrition. It is important to do your research if you
use commercial food. Shop for a food with the least amount of
carbohydrates offered and with a good primary animal based protein.
Some foods are now being offered as grain free. But remember, other
sources offered are still carbohydrates, and the most often used is
potato. This can be of benefit to dogs with certain grain allergies or
gluten intolerance.  Some dogs can have digestive issues when fed food
with gluten. And commercial foods that are grain free can be a novel
food source to try for dogs with allergies.
Home Cooked Diets
Carbohydrates are also used in home cooked recipes. The main reason
for this is to offer a fiber source. Most carbohydrates are high in
fiber and this helps keep the stool firm. When using vegetables
sources, fully puree, blend or cook them. Dogs cannot digest grains or
vegetables that aren't fully cooked or pureed. They do not have the
ability to break down the cell wall of carbohydrates, nor digest them
well in their short and simple digestive tracts. When using
carbohydrates in home cooked diets, I generally recommend using about
75% animal based protein, and 25% carbohydrates.
High Glycemic (Sugar Content) Vegetables
Equally important to note is that the type of carbohydrate used
affects stool size. In most of the recipes I offer in the B-Naturals
articles (in the newsletter directory) use low glycemic carbohydrates.
These are vegetables, which offer the lowest sugar content. Dogs are
carnivores, and genetically speaking, they do not have systems that
need or adapt well to a constant influx of high sugar foods. Dogs need
fat and animal protein to survive and thrive. High sugar foods contain
more calories and also add unneeded and unnecessary weight gain. They
may also offer poor health conditions, such as diabetes, allergies,
yeast growth, propensity for urinary tract infections and may
contribute to seizure activity in dogs with epilepsy. For more
information, see the article on low glycemic recipes:
http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/low-glycemic/
Raw Diets
Carbohydrates are not necessary in raw diets. Raw diets contain bone,
which offer fiber and help create firm stools.  Some may wish to add
some vegetables to the diet for variety, but I would feed no more than
10% of these of the total diet. They may not add to the nutrition of
the diet, but they aren't harmful either. Adding more than 10% of
carbohydrates to the diet will only increase stool size and in some
cases may cause gas.
For further information on carbohydrates and more references:
http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/carbohydrates/
Incontinence
It is also thought that grains and starches may aggravate incontinence
in spayed females and senior dogs. Incontinence is leaking of urine,
and chronic conditions can lead to rashes, irritation and urinary
tract infections. Removing grains from the diet can alleviate the
problem and sometimes completely stop the incontinence, without having
to resort to prescription medications. Also adding the herbal tincture
blend, Kidni Care can help strengthen and tone urinary tract muscles.
For more information on incontinence and diet, see Aunt Jeni's article:
http://www.auntjeni.com/incont.htm
Arthritis
Dogs with arthritis or other inflammatory affected problems need to
avoid grains and starches. The sugar content of these foods may
aggravate inflammation and cause pain. This would include avoiding
fruit, as well as vegetables in the nightshade family, such as
tomatoes, potatoes, peppers and eggplant. I have had many emails from
people over the years testifying that moving their dogs to a raw diet
or a low glycemic cooked diets has reduced arthritis pain in their
dogs.
Other ways to help reduce inflammation in dogs with arthritis would include:
Bromelain (an enzyme from Pineapple) found in either the ProBrom or
the Quercitin/Bromelain capsules. Both of these can also aid in
digestion and help reduce gas.
Yucca Intensive, which is a liquid tincture made from fresh yucca.
This plant contains saponins, which help reduce inflammation and pain.
Use one drop per ten pounds of body weight, twice daily WITH food.
Bertes Flexile Plus is a blend of glucosamine, hyaluronic acid,
bromelain, manganese and green lipped muscle. These ingredients can
help to lubricate the affected area and reduce inflammation.
Conclusion
While carbohydrates are not necessary in a dog's diet, they can be
useful in certain conditions. This would include the benefit of adding
fiber to a home cooked diet and in certain liver or renal issues that
need carbohydrates to add calories, absorb ammonia or reduce
phosphorus in the diet.
Using too many carbohydrates can cause larger stools with more odor
and gas. They are composed of chains of sugar, so they add calories,
and can adversely affect dogs with diabetes, seizures, arthritis, dogs
with incontinence and dogs with hypothyroid conditions.
It is important to know these variables, to make the best decisions on
whether carbohydrates can help or hinder your dog's health. It is not
a question of 'good or bad', but rather about the individual needs of
your dog.

More articles
Dog Allergies - Food for Dog Allergies
https://www.knowbetterpetfood.com/dog_allergies
90 Percent of Pet Foods May Cause Disease in Your Pet
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/10/13/dr-mercola-becker-on-pet-food-industry.aspx

Dogs and Carbohydrates -- A Surprising Secret Revealed
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/canine-nutrition/dog-food-carbohydrates/

Canine Diseases Linked to Grains in Dog Food (Part 1)
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-industry-exposed/grains-in-dog-food-1/

Canine Diseases Linked to Grains in Dog Food (Part 2)
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-industry-exposed/grains-in-dog-food-2/

The Truth About Corn in Dog Food
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-industry-exposed/dog-food-corn/

On 6/23/14, Nicole Torcolini via nagdu <nagdu at nfbnet.org> wrote:

> [...]

Raven
"if God didn't make it, don't eat it." - John B. Symes, D.V.M.
http://dogtorj.com