[nagdu] Noise at the corner

Cindy Ray cindyray at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 13:57:30 UTC 2014

Tracy, I do have some of that some kind of struggles, and I’m afraid of big, noisy vehicles and, to some extent, cars, too. I have always been because of a car accident I was in when I was small. I have managed, but I think for me some of this comes from fear. Essentially, what I have done with it is just go, but now I don’t work and do not have much of anywhere to go. The big, busy street that I could be crossing to get to some things has become a source of fear for me. At the first corner where I would cross it, there are self-actuated lights, but since the parallel street is often very quiet, it gets difficult for me to know when the light has changed. I hate this because I never used to be like this. I truly admire people who are deaf-blind who travel about because if I were more deaf, I worry that I wouldn’t at all. My previous husband, Chuck, had a substantial hearing loss. I observed that his dogs took on a lot of responsibility, yet I wondered how he ever had the courage to walk about as much as he did, and that was considerable. I suspect I’ve said way too much, but maybe I’ll be forced now to get braver? Who knows. I think some of the problem comes from fear more than a loss of hearing. Undoubtedly, at my age there has been some hearing loss, but I don’t think much.

Cindy