[nagdu] Adjustment from working with a king to a dog

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Sun Jun 29 16:06:23 UTC 2014

Liz,

I think what you're asking is somewhat dependent on trusting the dog.
that's tough in the beginning, because you don't really know the dog all
that well.  Is he goofing off or is there really something he's taking me
around?  It gets better after the initial 6 months or so, once you really
mesh as a team.

However, the dog will always take you around things.  You will get new
information, but some of the things you are used to with your cane are going
to be gone.  You can get your cane out to check things out if you need to.
However using the cane and dog continually together would be cumbersome and
rather defeat the point, I think.

Some of the information you are used to getting from your cane, you won't
need so much when working the dog.  I veer pretty bad  with my cane, so I
find myself shore lining more than most people or checking for the edge more
often than is probably strictly necessary.  a dog will keep that line for
you quite easily so you don't need to worry about it.

If you really like the information you get from your cane and don't want to
give that up, then don't.  Dogs are not for everyone.    Is there some
particular reason you are looking into getting a guide dog?  I'm just
curious.  It might also be helpful to spend some time with someone who uses
a dog.  then you could get an idea how a seasoned team works, what a guide
dog can and can't do and how the guide dog handler works through particular
travel situations.  You can compare this with how you use your cane and
maybe it will help you decide if it makes sense for you.

I was out with a good friend of mine who was also my cane travel instructor
once upon a time.  He's a very, very, very good cane traveler.  Some things
that surprised me a bit about the difference between his advanced cane use
and my guide dog use were that I got lined up for street crossings faster.
I could weave through tables, fountains, flower pots and other assorted
stuff on the sidewalks or outdoor restaurant patio areas much more quickly.
Finding a particular room in a hall of rooms was faster for him at first.
Once I had been to a particular room once or twice, my dog would pick up on
it and skip the others making my travel faster and more direct.   Finding
specific things like the table with the coffee and cookies at the back of
the room was easier for the cane user.

Best of luck in whatever you decide,
Julie