[nagdu] Update on Sophie Girl and a new guide dog school

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Sat Mar 1 16:13:29 UTC 2014

Hi Alyssa.
My current dog is from The Seeing Eye.  He turned 2 a couple weeks after we
left class, as did several other dogs in my class.
We were always treated with friendly respect in class, and afterwards.
TSE uses praise-and-correct methods.  I gather they are teaching some
clicker use now, but mostly for targetting things.
TSE does not have a graduation ceremony, which for me is a plus. A few
people shook my hand and wished me well, and off I went.  More dignified
than the graduation circus, IMO.
TSE does not encourage direct contact between students and puppy raisers.
I thought the training was excellent.  I think they're especially good at
traffic training.
HTH.
Tracy