[nagdu] Update on Sophie Girl and a new guide dog school

Minhh Ha minh.ha927 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 1 19:53:39 UTC 2014

Alyssa,

Raven gave you a really thorough description of GDB's training methods and the atmosphere. I feel like GEB and GDB have very similar attitudes when it comes to training methods and interactions with their students. I went to GDB last June to train with my first guide and loved my experience. I felt like all the trainers were very approachable and I got assistance from all the instructors, not just my own. My personal instructor was a third year apprentice and she and I built a close working relationship; I felt like by the end, we were friends and I still keep in touch with her. GDB has switched to the two week program so the ratio is one instructor to two students. I loved this because I had plenty of time to work with my guide as well as get focused attention on what my needs are. GDB also went out of their way to arrange a lesson at the underground train station to give me familiarity with working with my guide when I went back home and had to use the subway in the city. Another aspect I love is that GDB encourages puppy raiser contact and they help to initiate that relationship. The handler can choose to stay in touch with the raiser as much as they want, but at least
they give you the option to do so. For me it's really important that I know how my guide was like when she was a puppy and if I have any problems, she can help me to brain storm ideas as she spent a year and a half with them.

Minh
Sent from my iPhone