[nagdu] Figuring out what I need in a dog

Jewel herekittykat2 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 15:06:44 UTC 2014

Hi all,
As it gets closer to time to relinquish my current guide dog, Faye,
back to the school, I am thinking about what kind of dog I need and
want. Maybe you guys can help me figure out what to ask for.
*I need a dog that doesn't get bored walking slow, but also doesn't
get distracted at these slow speeds.
*I need a dog that is trainable (to other small tasks, like standing
still to help me stand up off the floor), but isn't overly food-driven
*I need a dog that's soft enough to give me emotional support, but
tough enough to handle city and university walking
*I need a friendly dog, but one that isn't going to great everyone
s/he comes across.
*I need a  dog that will take city or country walks all in stride,
particularly going off-trail hiking.
*I need a dog with lots of energy for working around a university, but
not so much energy that I can't relax on the weekend.
Maybe I've just described what I need myself, but I don't know how to
take that and write it in a way that makes real sense to instructors
and the school. Any advice?
Thank you all for your support and help so far. I don't know what I'd
do without this group.
Yours,
Jewel