[nagdu] Going hiking?

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Mon Mar 3 18:58:02 UTC 2014

Hi Daryl.
Sounds like fun!  Be careful of bears, though.  Dogs and bears don't get
along. We always whoop and carry on a bit, so the bears know we're coming.
And, if the ranger comes along and says "Bears up ahead", we turn right
around.
My husband and I have gone hiking in Glacier, though, being really city
kids, we don't go very far from where we're staying.
My dog Echo was really good at backtracking.  Even if we got a bit mixed up,
we could turn around, give Echo her head, and she would retrace her steps
until we ended up back home.
I found a sturdy hiking stick very helpful.  My dogs have always looked for
the clearest path around rocks and roots, but there's only so much a dog can
do.  And it can also serve as a cane for finding edges and such.
I also had to walk single file in some places, letting my dog walk right in
front of me instead of the usual position a little off to the side.  It's a
bit awkward, but OK for short distances.  It's the only way I know to walk
across planks laid across a gully, for instance.
We always carry some water, for ourselves and the dog.
Have fun, but be careful.  You lucky duck!
Tracy