[nagdu] Off-leash recall.

Deanna Lewis DLewis at clovernook.org
Fri Mar 14 15:04:37 UTC 2014

Hi,
So all the talk about fenced in yards and off-leash recall got me thinking that I really should be working on improving my dog's off-leash recall. He is not bad, but sometimes, he gets sniffy and is really stubborn and doesn't want to come back to me. His obedience is good, but when he gets outside and more than 10 feet away, he likes to poke around and I have to call his name several times.
So, what are some good techniques for re-teaching a dog off leash recall? Any tips and tricks?
I know some of you mentioned whistles, is there a specific type to use, or will any kind do?
Food? Clicker? Etc?
Thank you.
Deanna and Pascal