[nagdu] Off-leash recall.

Daryl Marie crazymusician at shaw.ca
Fri Mar 14 15:19:09 UTC 2014

My whistle is a high-pitched one... I once had another dog come to it, too (oops!)

Whenever I take Jenny girl off-leash, I give her a treat as I am taking the leash off.  This shows her two things:
1) she is allowed to be off-leash and run, and it's good
2) I have one treat; I have more

Occasionally I will just call her to me to work on her off-leash recall; when she comes back, especially from a long distance, she gets a treat.

Same with the whistle.  Occasionally I will need to use it (I can count on one hand the number of times).  Even if I have to use it, I reinforce her coming back with treats.  The only time I do not is if she is misbehaving, when I call her back to me (she comes) and I put her on-leash.  She always knows exactly what she did to cut short her trip to the park, because she is the most well-behaved doggie EVER walking back to the bus/car.

I know that does a crappy job of explaining it, but that's what I learned, anyway.  Lately though she'll come back without treats, which comes in handy when I run short (mommy guilt!)

Daryl and the wonderful Jenny who got her around a HUGE puddle flooding the sidewalk!