[nagdu] Sound/body cues?

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 20:18:23 UTC 2014

During training, one of the sound cues my class was taught was to
double tap our thigh to cue our dogs to sit. Dunno why that was the
only cue that had a sound cue rather than a hand signal.
With the Golden Guy, I also snap to get his attention while working.
Most of the time, it's when he is hell bent on going in our routine
direction or through a frequented set of doors, and I want to go
somewhere else. In that instance, I will sweep over his head and point
in the desired direction or just snap in that general direction to get
him to turn immediately.
It's interesting that Jenny doesn't respond to hand signals well.
Whenever I train dogs, I almost always teach hand gestures before I
introduce verbal cues. I understand that all trainers don't do this
though.
When we first got our dogs, a fellow classmate would tap her feet near
her dog's head to get her to stop sniffing while lying down.
I'm curious about snapping while working to get your dog to slow down
or sync up with your stride. Does Jenny seem to be getting the hang of
it?

On 3/19/14, Daryl Marie <crazymusician at shaw.ca> wrote:
> Hey!
> Just been starting to use sound cues with Jenny in addition to, or instead
> of, the original hand signals that she doesn't seem to respond to.  Lately,
> if she's not sitting when she needs to, I tap my foot, or if she's not
> walking steady, I snap my fingers in a rhythm with my feet to focus her a
> bit.
>
> Does anyone have any other pointers?  Successes? Questions...
>
> Daryl and the awesome Jenny girl

Raven