[nagdu] Sound/body cues?

Daryl Marie crazymusician at shaw.ca
Wed Mar 19 20:45:32 UTC 2014

hey, Raven,

Tapping the thigh is a "come here".
There's another hand signal for "sit", but I've tried for the last five minutes to describe it and cannot do so.  For some reason that makes no sense to me, Jenny does not like to sit at the top of stairs as we have been trained to do.  This is one of the few hand signals she does not respond to well in particular situations, so at the top of stairs, if she's standing instead of sitting, I will verbally tell her to sit along with the hand signal.  If she doesn't feel like it, which is most of the time, I tap my toe and it's like this lightbulb goes on ("I should sit!")

The snapping to sync up is starting to see results, but it is only effective if I am not wearing gloves or mittens - an impracticality for six months of the year in this northern climate.  The other thing that seems to be working fairly well is if she's walking too fast, I'll do a quick kissy sound twice and, whether or not I use the word "steady" it slows her right down.  This isn't always consistent, but if one doesn't work, the other does.

Daryl