[nagdu] Hypothetical Situation

Larry D. Keeler lkeeler at comcast.net
Thu Mar 20 14:10:46 UTC 2014

Well, this inquiry is based on a true situation. However, the dogs involved were not service dogs. A friend of mine had a really mellow black lab. Her boyfriend got a pit mix. They left the 2 dogs alone after a couple of months and the pit mix basically killed the lab. The dog was put down. What got me thinking is that one of the folks involved got a guide dog. I started wondering what if her boyfriend wanted another aggressive dog and something happened like that again. Who would be responsible for the loss of the dog. Sence she is a new handler, she is still not the dogs owner. This she is ok with. And, I don't think they will get another dog iether. I was just thinking what a mess it could be if you had a partner or spouse who got an aggressive dog and who would ultimately be responsible for in effect the damage of school or perhapse your property. If the other dog was attained after the service dog was, I'd think it would complicate issues. Of course, I know that you can ask questions and get help from schools if you already have a pet. I did. But, I know folks might forget or think its none of there schools buisness whether or not they get another pet. I'm sure that if the dog is yours then you could file a claim against your partner but how many folks would do that and, if you aggreed to let them bring a new dog in, I'd think you would share the responsibility. However, if the school still had ownership, who would be charged ans would they the student or partner have to pay? Or, could a school refuse to train the person with a second dog? just food for thaught. I'm a curious guy, what can I say!!
Intelligence is always claimed but rarely proven!