[nagdu] Hypothetical Situation

Star Gazer pickrellrebecca at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 18:25:14 UTC 2014

Was the dog aggressive (had been taught to fight) or was this a tragic
accident?
My retired guide dog went to live with my parents. She had some health
problems which they were trying to treat. One day they left the retired dog
alone with their dog, and their dog killed my retired dog. Interestingly
enough, my sister's pit bull was also there, and did not get involved.   I
don't want to go into how we know this, but believe me, the evidence was not
pleasant.  And yes, my dad put his dog down the next day. That's really all
you can do.

Believe me that day was horrible. My dad called to tell me what had
happened. I knew something was very wrong because he called when I was
giving my then toddler a bath. He never called during that time. He also
insisted I get my husband, something he didn't even do when my grandpa died,
or when my sister had been rushed to the hospital and was on life support
after a very serious auto accident. When my dad called to tell me about
Jersey, he was crying so hard and was so incoherent, I thought he was going
to tell me my mom or sister had died in some sort of accident. I have never
seen my dad cry like that before or since. I hope I never do again.
My parents' dog was a mutt, one they got at a chicken auction. She was a
puppy when they got her and hadn't been aggressive before. I've read how
dogs will kill an injured member of the pack. I'd just never seen it happen
until that day.
Larry, I wouldn't worry about this unless you know for a fact that someone
is training dogs to be aggressive. Some things are just tragic accidents.
"Would have, could have, should have" don't help after the fact.
Your friend's boyfriend probably feels a lot of guilt over what happened. I
wouldn't cause him any more pain. I also wouldn't encourage legal action.
What would be gained?  And for those of you still with us, my sister is ok.