[nagdu] A few questions

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 11:00:45 UTC 2014

Minh,
Viva is allergic to whatever shampoo or conditioner the groomer uses.
I recommend using hypoallergenic, oatmeal-free products.
Remember that the skin is one of the body's ways to get rid of toxins
and balance itself. recurrent Ear infections are a sign of this.
About the shedding, if she's blowing coat, a bath and a good
brushing/combing would fix this. If that does not remedy the problem,
it's possible she's reacting to something. Excessive shedding can be a
reaction to toxins that she's been exposed to, whether it's a recent
vaccination or the bathing products your groomer uses.
I recommend purchasing products similar to the ones linked to below.
Here are some examples to give you an idea of the ingredients' list of
all-natural petwashes.
RESTORE | Soap Bar : Honey
$9.99
ingredients:
Coconut oil, sodium hydroxide, organic fresh neem leaf extract, fresh
organic aloe vera gel, fresh organic honey, cold-pressed neem oil &
seasalt.
RESCUE | Soap Bar : Aloe
$9.99
Coconut oil, sodium hydroxide, organic fresh neem leaf extract, fresh
organic aloe vera gel, cold-pressed neem oil & seasalt.
http://www.wondercide.com/Natural-Pet-Supplies/dog-health-dog-soap/

Lastly, foul breath can mean that Viva needs a teeth-cleaning, or it
could mean worse things, such as diabetes or kidney disease. I'm not
going to even guess, but I do recommend taking her to the vet. Whether
it's a teeth-cleaning or something major, it's nothing to play with,
since poor dental health can lead to worse problems.
Hth.
--
Raven

On 3/21/14, minh ha <minh.ha927 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a few questions regarding issues with Viva's health. Any
> insight would be appreciated.
>
> 1. Viva has been getting ear infections after every single bath,
> whether at the groomer's or at home. She gets bathed every three
> months or so and every single time, without fail, she develops an ear
> infection 1 to 2 weeks after. At first, I thought it was just a
> coincidence, but this is the third time now and I know it shouldn't
> happen that frequently. The groomer does clean her ears and so do I
> with epiotic ear solution, so I can't really figure out why these ear
> infections are happening.
>
> 2. Over the past six months or so, her breath has been getting
> increasingly worse and worse. It is tolerable but it's not the fresh
> doggie breath that she had when I first went home with her. I brush
> her teeth daily and she doesn't have any teeth problems. I know that
> sometimes bad digestion can cause bad breath in dogs, but besides
> this, the food that I give her (natural balance lamb and rice) agrees
> very well with her. I also give her flax seed oil with every meal and
> it really helps her coat, but not her breath. I stopped giving her the
> oil for a few days and the odorous breath lessened a little bit, but
> it's still definitely there. What could be other causes of bad breath?
> And are there alternatives to flax seed oil that I could give her?
>
> 3. She has also been shedding an inordinate amount of hair. Viva is an
> extremely short-coated dog and she never used to shed as much as she
> is now. Is it just a normal doggie thing where as the weather gets
> warmer, they shed their winter fluff?
>
> Sorry for the long post; I'm just trying to cover all my bases and
> make sure there's not an imbalance going on. Thanks for any help.
>
> Minh
>

> --
> "All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty
> recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:
> but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on
> their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible." T. E. Lawrence

Raven