[nagdu] questions about guide dog access denials

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Sat Mar 22 14:55:30 UTC 2014

Here you go!
1. Have you and your guide dog been denied access to a public establishment?
examples include stores, restaurants,  theaters, etc. If so, explain.
No, but I've been asked for ID once.  We had a chat and all was well.

2. How were you treated upon entry to this facility with your dog?
You're assuming that all guide dog users have had access denials.  I haven't
been denied entrance anywhere, so I'll talk about the closest thing I've
experienced.
It was at a hotel.  I went to the desk to check in.  I was treated politely,
like the other customers.  Even the request for paperwork for the dog was
polite.  Once I explained the laws, I was given an apology, a retraction of
the request for ID and an explanation that another service dog user told the
hotel employees that only legitimate service dogs would have ID cards.

3. How did you handle the situation?
I explained calmly about the laws and offered them print information I had
about the law and the DOJ phone number, should they have additional
questions.

4. did you revisit this establishment? If so, were there anymore issues upon
your entry?
It was a hotel for business travel.   I haven't had any reason to go back,
but if the occasion arose, I wouldn't have any issue with returning.
Another guide dog user in my group checked in an hour or two after I did.
He wasn't asked for ID.  So not sure if they listened to me or if the staff
changed or what.

Thank you for taking the time to look at this list. I have to have a source
for this paper  in which I conducted the research myself. That is why I'm
posting these questions here. Feel free to answer on or off list. Thank you
all very much.
Alyssa who is hopefully getting a new dog soon

Sent from my iPad

-----
No virus found in this message.