[nagdu] Law Regarding Attacks on Service Dogs

Karyn & Thane bcpaws4me at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 05:49:19 UTC 2014

Good for you Danielle thinking about how you will handle the loose dog
situation.
I am one who has experienced an attack that changed not just my dog but
myself. That said, I think its important to realistically assess the
situation.
One thing I have found is that the more confidant and at ease I am, the more
confidant and at ease my dog will be. If it helps you to talk to the dogs
that you are approaching or who are approaching you, then by all means do
so. I find the ones at my complex as trying as the majority can be, they
often respond to my happy tone. Regardless of whether they are on or off
leash (or whether I am aware of that even) I have found saying *Good Morning
(or whatever)* as we pass really makes a positive impact for me, my dog, and
even the attitudes of neighbors who may not have taken their dogs behavior
as seriously before. Its all in how you approach it-- the more positive you
can be when discussing issues, the better potential for neighbors to want to
be helpful. Granted that isn't always the case, but I like to try and win
friends rather than create enemies.
I moved about 1 1/2 yrs ago. My previous living circumstances, there was
only one other dog at the complex. Now I live in a huge complex where many
people have 2-3 yappy dogs. Most of the larger dogs are actually pretty good
and/ or the owners take their training and behavior more seriously. There
are times when it is very challenging with my previous experience with my
former dog, but the more I CHOOSE to work on how I feel about the
circumstances the better.
Like Rox'E has said, I am also very aware of when dogs are around. Being
deafblind means I just do things a little differently. If its really an
issue, Thane will not let me continue on the path we are headed any more
than he would let me move forward when a driver has decided that they only
have to look left before making a right turn-- in fact people have told me
that Thane doesn't let me cross until he makes driver eye contact LOL.
Granted we have been together for a number of years, but it wasn't always
that way. You will learn to read your dogs signals as you have experiences
together.
If you think loose dogs could challenge your confidance there are ways
(other than ones I've listed) to help settle you.
As far as laws on the books though-- it is time for a federal protection for
all service dogs. When Met was attacked, the only thing that happened is his
bills got paid. Animal control allowed her to keep her aggressive dog
without requiring any stipulations (which they later saw their fallacy after
a human attack occurred) Try not to anticipate the worset though. We do hear
of attacks more than we would like, but what we don't often hear about are
the positive resolutions in situations that could have gone either way.
People also have different views on what constitutes an attack. To me, an
attack breaks the skin on my dog and requires some sort of care. Met had
multiple vet visits for care associated with the attack on him and was
unable to fulfill his job for at least a month (memory details a bit sketchy
11 yrs after the fact). You'll do great with all the planning ahead you are
doing. Don't forget to let us know when you have a class date!

Karyn and Thane