[nagdu] On Ownership

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Fri May 2 21:31:51 UTC 2014

Daryl,
O&M instructors and the field reps from guide dog schools decide the
objective standards for potential guide dog travelers.
Sad to say, but these standards that should be objective are
subjective on some levels. What I mean is, some types of people are
given preferential treatment. In my experience, it has primarily been
college students and people with multiple conditions. The staff see
promise in these people and want so badly to improve these people's
lives or make things work, so they let a bunch of bs fly. It doesn't
work out for long.

On 5/2/14, Daryl Marie <crazymusician at shaw.ca> wrote:
> This begs the question... what are considered "acceptable" O&M skills and
> those that would be deemed unacceptable for guide dog training?  Who makes
> those determinations?  How objective are the criteria?  Who decides what is
> an O&M weaker area that needs improvement and what's a lost cause?
>
> Curious,
>
> Daryl and Jenny

>>> nonsense.  It doesn't make any sense to me.  How does the ownership
>>> policy
>>> affect the school's ability to provide good service?  It smells like an
>>> excuse to me.
>>>
>>> It would be interesting to see solid statistics comparing things like
>>> obesity rates, abuse, time between a follow up request and the provision
>>>
>>> of
>>>
>>> service and overall success rates between programs that retain ownership
>>>
>>> and
>>>
>>> those that don't.  My hunch is that there is no correlation between
>>> ownership and these items.  I think the better indicator is the quality
>>> of
>>> the applicant screening process, and the quality of the training at the
>>> program
>>>
>>> Julie

>>> nagdu:
>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nagdu_nfbnet.org/ravend729%40gmail.com