[nagdu] Application Process

Daryl Marie crazymusician at shaw.ca
Tue May 6 04:24:18 UTC 2014

Well, for what it's worth, I didn't go through GDB, but if you walk that much, you'll have a very happy guide dog!  Most schools will want to see if you can navigate confidently, they want to see your walking pace so they can match you with a dog that fits that pace, etc.

Overthinking is normal (I do that myself).  While you are waiting, think about your cane. I know that sounds silly, but seriously.  Think about the feedback you receive from your cane, and consider what parts of that feedback are important to you.  I was a very VERY tactile cane user, so thinking about this made the transition to dog a little easier.  It drove me crazy when people told me that the feedback will be different - just because something is true doesn't mean that the comment is helpful. But someone mentioned this tidbit and I found it incredibly valuable.  Do you live in a warm climate? Cold climate?  This will also determine some of your feedback (especially cold climate, since canes are all but useless in snow)

.This is probably not what you were looking for directly, but if you want to, please feel free to write me off-list. I've had my dog Jenny for just over 8 months, and I am willing to help in ay way.

Daryl and Jenny (who spent 45 minutes happily chewing a HUGE bone and now has lovely smelling doggie breath)