[nagdu] Application Process

Brandon Olivares programmer2188 at gmail.com
Tue May 6 04:15:57 UTC 2014

Hello,

I recently applied to GDB. I know there are some other GDB graduates on this list, so I’m curious about the process. Of course I’ve spoken to the admissions staff and heard about the process, but I’d like to know what I should be expecting? What will they be looking for? I’ve never applied for a guide dog before so I am a bit nervous.

I’m 25 years old and have been working with a cane for 20 years, and my mobility skills are quite good. I walk from a mile to a mile and a half almost every day. We’re in an area where we can walk just about anywhere: the grocery store is just down the road, there are several restaurants in easy walking distance, and it is a nice residential area where I enjoy walking daily.

Like I said this is my first time, so I don’t know how strict they are with applications. I tend to overthink things so I’d like to hear from anyone else to put my mind at ease a bit.

Thanks,
Brandon