[nagdu] Separation anxiety?

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Fri May 9 16:20:46 UTC 2014

Monty has a rug under my desk at work.  For the first few weeks, I kept him
on leash, tucking it under my leg or hanging it on the end of a desk drawer.
He never did try to wander off or get into things.  He will sit up and put
his chin on my lap from time to time, usually when it's getting later than
usual and he's hungry.

Now that I am confident in his ability to enjoy uninterrupted sleep under
the desk, I take both his leash and harness off.  It is pretty rare that I'd
leave my office without taking him, but I do sometimes and he will stay put.
I don't worry about his behavior, but more about the behavior of others or a
situation that would mean moving in a hurry.

If I wasn't confident he'd stay, I'd keep him tethered to something or take
him with me.

You could work on a down stay with you out of sight at home to help cement
the idea.  Just start small, gradually working up to greater
distance/time/distractions.  Only increase by tiny bits and only either time
or distance or distraction, not all three at once.

My guess is that she's feeling a bit uncertain and it will sort itself out
in time by itself.  I'm not there, of course, and my be totally wrong.  What
do you think is the cause of her following you?

Julie