[nagdu] New EMS And Service Dogs Reference Guide GuidingEyes for the Blind

Criminal Justice Major Extraordinaire via nagdu nagdu at nfbnet.org
Tue May 13 12:02:11 UTC 2014

Hi, all,
I got this from another guide dog related list.
I encourage everyone to make sure their guide or other type of assistance dog school is given this info.
I will be working on meeting with the Chief Operations of Denver Paramedics along with my friend Natalie in the hopes we can get this started.
Sincerely:
Bibi and MAR son Odie
New EMS And Service Dogs Reference Guide Guiding Eyes for the Blind yellow
Lab guide dog in training Pita sits quietly between a center mounted
ambulance stretcher and a bench seat. Her leash is attached to the "dead
ring" on her collar and she's safely tethered to the  loop of a fastened
seat belt. Photo by Liflander Photography.
<https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152302951534293&set=a.62352109292.66902.26216444292>
"Guiding Eyes for the Blind yellow Lab guide dog in training Pita sits
quietly between a center mounted ambulance stretcher and a bench seat. Her
leash is attached to the "dead ring" on her collar and she's safely tethered
to the loop of a fastened seat belt. Photo by Liflander Photography."
<https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152302951534293&set=a.62352109292.66902.26216444292&type=1>
Call this my PSA for the day - I have a feeling you're gonna see this one a
lotta places, but I wanna help make sure that happens, so I'm gonna post it
as well. Anyone with an assistance dog, or emergency responders who very
well might find themselves having to transport an assistance dog team could
use it.
Guiding Eyes for the Blind <http://www.guidingeyes.org/>  graduate Cecilia
Warren, a former medic and fire chief, has partnered with them to create a
newly released "EMS & Service Dogs"
<https://www.guidingeyes.org/21350/ems-and-service-dogs/>  reference guide
to providing safe and efficient care to people traveling with service dogs.
I've seen the pdf and I really like it, but, more importantly, "those who
know" - friends with assistance dogs who live this one daily - really like
it.
So, please, just go to the link, read it, download the pdf, and spread the
word.
Here is the link to the PDF:
https://www.guidingeyes.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/EMS-and-Service-Dogs.pdf
Here is the Text on the web page that this goes to:
EMS and Service Dogs
The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requires hospitals and first
responders to modify their practices as necessary to ensure that service dog
users are provided with the same assistance as their peers. EMS providers
must be prepared to safely transport service dogs alongside their handlers.
The ADA defines a service animal as any dog that is trained to do work or
perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability.
. EMS providers may not ask for proof of certification.
. A person may be asked to remove his or her service dog only if the dog is
out of control or if the dog is not housebroken.
. A service dog is not a pet or companion dog.
There are no regulations to specify where a service dog should be placed
during transport. The size of the dog, condition of the patient and space
configurations of the apparatus will drive this decision.
A service dog may be placed alongside a center-frame stretcher, remaining
clear of the EMS provider. When a patient requires life saving
interventions, or if space prevents the dog from transport in the patient
compartment, the cab may be a viable option. An alternative vehicle - such
as a police car or paramedic fly car - may also be considered.

Best practices for transporting service dog teams:
. For everyone's safety, the dog should be tethered to a stationary device,
i.e., the stretcher or a seatbelt that's locked into place.
. Be sure to secure the stretcher before placing the guide dog in the
patient compartment. Remove the guide dog first upon arrival at your
destination.
. If possible, place leash on the appropriate collar ring to prevent injury
or asphyxiation when securing the dog. (See photo below.) . Cover sharp
surfaces in perforated running boards to prevent lacerations to paws.

Created by Ret Capt. Cecilia Warren, MS, MBA in partnership with Guiding
Eyes for the Blind.               Additional materials and presentations
available: cw413 at comcast.net <mailto:cw413 at comcast.net> .
Photos by Liflander Photography <http://www.liflanderphotography.com/>
View a PDF of this information.
<https://www.guidingeyes.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/EMS-and-Service-Dogs.pdf>
Sources
. CDC Guidelines for Environmental Infection Control in Healthcare
Facilities (Guidelines) . National Archives and Records Administration
(2011). "Electronic Code of Federal Regulations." Title 28. Part 35.
Nondiscrimination on the Basis of Disability in State and Local Government
Services.
. US Department of Health and Human Services Office of Civil Rights. (2011).
Letter of Findings.
. US Department of Justice (2010). "Animals, Revised ADA Requirements."
. US Department of Justice (2011). "Fact Sheet: Highlights of the Final Rule
to Amend the Dept of Justice Regulation Implementing Title II of ADA."