[nagdu] guide dog school problem

Julie J. via nagdu nagdu at nfbnet.org
Thu May 15 12:21:55 UTC 2014

I think it's like putting the cart before the horse.  You haven't been
accepted at any guide dog program yet.  You don't have a class date.  You
want to take the Accelerated Mobility Program at Leader, but you haven't
been given a date for that yet either.  I think the most logical thing is to
apply for the programs you want to attend.  Do the mobility program at
Leader, decide if you still want to work with a dog.  I've heard of people
completing that program, getting their cane skills up and deciding that the
cane is working out pretty well for them and waiting on a dog.   If you
still want a guide, talk to the programs where you get accepted about your
schedule and available dates and go from there.

There's a lot of stuff that has to be completed by you and the guide dog
school before they offer you a spot.  It isn't like ordering at a
restaurant.  They have to decide if they feel their program is right for
you.  Then they have to have a general idea if they will have a suitable dog
for you.  Then there has to be an opening in a class.  I've heard of all
that coming together in a few weeks, but most people say it's more like 4-6
months.  Sometimes a year if they have particular needs  in a dog.

My best advice is to be patient and take one thing at a time.  Do the
mobility program at Leader.  Then figure out what is the next most important
thing...college, getting a guide dog...and do that thing.

Julie