[nagdu] Dogs in the Dorms

Nicole Torcolini via nagdu nagdu at nfbnet.org
Sat May 17 18:28:35 UTC 2014

Lizzy,

As you have probably already gathered from the replies so far, there are
many different answers to your questions, and what is best for you and your
dog will depend on you, your dog, the dorm, and policies about roommates
amongst several other factors.
Yes, I did let Lexia walk to the laundry room with me off leash, but that
was about it. Most of the rest of the time, when we went anywhere in the
dorm, she was on leash. When she was off leash, I mostly made her stay right
beside me. If she was not beside me, then she was sitting quietly waiting. I
developed commands for walking with her off leash, including one involving a
hand signal that means to move back to my side.
My freshmen year, I lived on the second floor, and the laundry room was in
the basement. I had to go outside and down two flights of stairs, so Lexia
did not always come with me. The laundry room was in a long, often deserted
hallway, so I sometimes took Lexia down there to run. I know that some
people may not agree with this, but I did not really have much of a choice.
There was nowhere outside that was safe for her to run off leash. My
sophomore through senior years, the laundry room was still in the basement,
but I did not have to go outside to get to it. There was either an elevator
or a staircase. Again, the laundry room was in a long hallway. There was a
computer lab and two study rooms on the hallway as well, but people did not
usually just hangout in the hallway. I always made sure that there was no
one coming or going before Lexia ran, and I listened for people while she
was running. Also, my room was at the other end of the hall as the door from
outside. Sometimes, on the way in, I would have Lexia stop and sit at the
end of the hall. Making sure that the coast was clear, I would go to my room
and call her, and she would come running to me.
Yes, I allowed others to interact with Lexia, but they had to ask first,
even when she was off leash. If we were in the hallway with other students
and some of them were playing with Lexia, I always monitored what was
happening with Lexia rather than just letting the other students play with
her.
No, I did not have a roommate. Unless you get to choose your roommate, I
would not have a roommate. Also, like Raven said, there's not really room
for two people and a dog. My freshmen year, I was in a one room double. They
took away the extra furniture with the exception of the second wardrobe,
which I used for dog stuff. I have a good amount of technology, too, so,
when you add the dog crate, there really would not have been room for a
second person. My sophomore through seniors years, I was in a one room
single. That room had a sink, which came in handy. If there is a particular
dorm that has sinks in the rooms, you might want to see if they will put you
in it.
If your dorm has an email list, you might consider sending the rules about
your dog to the list. If there is house meeting, you might consider
introducing yourself and your dog there.
Are you taking a crate? If not, then you should at least take a tie down. If
you want a crate, but don't want a big, clunky metal one, they sell
collapsible canvas ones. Even if you don't use it on a regular basis, it is
still good to have, and, if you leave it up, you will probably find that
your dog goes and lays in it without being told. You should also get a tray
for the food and water bowls. Do you have a collapsible water bowl or
something else for giving your dog water when you are out and about for a
long time? Will you be far from home? If so, you need to research what vets
are in the area in case of a medical emergency. You also might want to
research local puppy raising groups in case you ever need a dog sitter or
some other kind of help. I did leave Lexia with another student on one or
two occasions when I was going to be gone longer than her usual times
between doing business, but this is only something that you should do if you
are 100% sure that the person is going to take good care of your dog.

Vivanna,

	I an not sure what you meant by run around outside of the room, but
I certainly did not ever let Lexia just wander aimlessly. When she ran, I
knew what she was doing and had control over her. Honestly, how many people
have fed your guide dog without your permission? Very few people ask to give
Lexia food. I explain about the no human food and about only using certain
treats, and that is usually the end of it. If they want to give her a treat,
they give her one of the ones that have, and I don't always allow them to do
this. The only times that people give Lexia treats other than her own are at
the vet at the groomer, once at a bank where one of the employees was the
mother of one of my friends and gave Lexia a large milk bone, and when one
of the Safeway delivery drivers would bring dog treats. For me, in college,
a bunch of different played with Lexia, so she did not spend enough time
with one person to become attached to any one person. And, if that had
happened, I would have just asked the person to stop playing with Lexia.
This is another reason why getting a guide dog and then going to college
immediately is not a good idea; you don't have a good bond with your dog
yet. I want to hear more of the story about people trying to poison your
dog. Yes, you need to be careful, but you also need to try to let your dog
have a little bit of fun.

Nicole and Lexia