[nagdu] Booking vacations?

Julie J. via nagdu nagdu at nfbnet.org
Sun May 25 11:06:05 UTC 2014

Daryl,

In the U.S. you are not required to give an airline or any other place
advance notice of your service dog.  Entering and exiting the U.S. may be a
bit different, but I think you've already figured that part out.  If it were
me, I would not tell them you have a guide dog.  In my experience it creates
more problems than it solves.   In the U.S. the airlines are not required to
give you any extra space for your guide.   Most people tuck the dog into the
under seat space in front of them with any extra in the foot space with your
feet on either side of the dog.  If you are flying with another person you
can use some of their foot space if needed without creating a problem.  At
least I'm assuming your husband wouldn't mind giving up some of his foot
space! *smile*

I've never been to NYC, so no clue about dog parks and places to go.  I
imagine there are plenty of both! I do let my guide run and mingle in our
dog park.  I'm in the minority of guide dog owners who do this, but I think
it's been really good for Monty.

Happy travels,
Julie