[nagdu] dog expenses question

Michael Hingson via nagdu nagdu at nfbnet.org
Sun May 25 19:45:05 UTC 2014

There is no real good answer to how much money you will pay for having a guide dog.  As others have pointed out the major typical cost is food which can be from $25 up depending on what food and whether you use only kibbles or more expensive meat and other foods.  You will have some veterinary bills for physical examinations and such, but your school may subsidize these.

Should your dog have some major veterinary bill your school may or may not have subsidies to help.  I suggest you ask the school for its thoughts.

If cost is a major concern for you determine whether or not your state's SSI program also offers guide dog assistance.

Best,

Michael Hingson