[nagdu] dog expenses question

Julie J. via nagdu nagdu at nfbnet.org
Sun May 25 20:19:25 UTC 2014

I do all my grooming myself.  there is a new self service dog wash that I'm
going to check out next time bath time rolls around.  I think it will be
easier than kneeling on the floor and leaning over the tub to give the dogs
baths.

So yearly expenses.  Here's my best guess.  Oh, I have two dogs and I live
in a very small town.  No fancy vet here.

shampoo between $5 and $10 depending on what I buy and if it's on sale

brushes, combs, nail clippers etc.  probably $0 for me because I bought nice
sturdy tools a long while ago and I am still using them.  If I had to
replace all of them...maybe $75 at least for the ones I like and would
replace

crate $100, I have a huge dog and couldn't purchase a regular size available
locally.  this is a one time expense and you will probably get by for
cheaper.

crate pad/bedding $0 I use an old blanket folded into quarters.  It was
something I already had and it washes very easily, unlike some of the bulky
commercially available products.

food I spend right around $100 every 6 weeks for  food and treats for both
dogs.  Let me do the math...I think it would be about $450 per dog per year.
that looks less than what it seems like I'm spending, so perhaps I've goofed
something up here.

vet expenses vary quite a bit depending on the health of the dog.  Monty had
a freak accident that ripped off one of his nails, which required him to be
sedated for it to be fixed.  I'm remembering that was around $200, maybe
less it's been a while.  Belle was really sick last year and stayed an
entire week at the vet.  They did all sorts of tests  and tried a variety of
medications.  Never did sort out what was wrong, but she got better.  That
was $300 or a bit more.   If nothing unexpected happens I probably spend $50
at the vet for routine exams and health care.  I'm not including heartworm
preventative.  I don't remember how much that is.

Preventative care...I only treat for heartworm prevention during the months
when we have live bugs and a bit after the bug season.  It's a choice and
there are differing opinions on it.  Do your own research and decide for
yourself.  I just bought the flea and tick repellant I use.  It was $60, but
that should be enough for both dogs all of this year and part of next year.
I use a cedar oil spray, not the chemicals the vet sells.  It has to be
applied weekly and it smells like cedar, strongly.  I like the smell, my
husband does not.  Again you have to figure out what works for you.

Toys, gear and misc.  I think this is the category where you can really
spend a lot.  I mean you can spend $50 on a designer ceramic hand crafted
water dish if you want to.  I use a $10 stainless steel dish I bought at
Wal-Mart 5 years ago.  It  still looks brand new.  You can buy expensive
pick up bags or you can go cheap and buy in bulk or super cheap and recycle
what you have laying around.  You can buy fancy leashes and perfumes and
travel water dishes if you want.  You don't really need any of this stuff.
Your dog will come with what you absolutely have to have.  I think my weak
spot is toys.  My dogs have a ton and I'm always tempted to buy more.  I
think I find them just as fun as the dogs do. *smile*

I think the best advice is what Raven said.  Figure out what you will need,
how much vets charge in your area and create your budget from your own
choices and circumstances.

HTH
Julie