[nagdu] Command Warm-ups

Tami Jarvis via nagdu nagdu at nfbnet.org
Tue May 27 02:41:51 UTC 2014

You can get a clicker at any pet store for pretty cheap. Unless you want
to be picky. I like the iClick from clickertraining.com and order them
online. But the basic clicker you can get at a pet store works just
fine. The clicker isn't absolutely essential, but it is a very handy
tool. Clicking the exact instant you get the behavior you want is more
precise than praise, but praise works.

To teach the touch cue, start by holding a treat in your hand where the
dog can see it. When the dog touches the treat in your hand, click (or
praise) and release the treat. Repeat a time or two. Then hold out your
hand, covering the treat. When the dog touches your hand, click and
uncover the treat so the dog can have it. Then start adding the command
for the behavior.

Some people like to have the dog touch their closed fist. I use the
closed fist for something else, so I hold out my first two fingers for
the touch, holding the treat in my folded down fingers. Pretty quickly,
you won't need to have the treat in hand to get the touch. I do
reinforce that one frequently, since it is so handy for redirecting from
distractions.

I use the same hand configuration -- last three fingers folded down over
a treat (at first) -- for other hand signals, like sit, down and stay,
since the dog's attention is already on the hand. So it's right handy.
/smile/

Tami