[nagdu] Command Warm-ups

Nicole Torcolini via nagdu nagdu at nfbnet.org
Tue May 27 03:57:05 UTC 2014

I don't do obedience that much any more. If obedience became an issue, I
would. I stopped not long after coming home as Lexia was working well and
she was getting extremely bored with the obedience routine, trying to do
whatever command was coming next before I could say it.

What commands is he forgetting? Practice those commands, and, when he does
them correctly, have a party about it. If he likes treats, then give him
some treats. Of course, you should back off the treats at some point, but,
when you're just trying to get across that you want your dog to do
something, the treats often help.

When you say that he wants to leave, why does he want to leave? Does he
enjoy going places? Does he want to get away from something? You could try
"no" or "leave it" or something, and then reward for when he does. You could
also do a correction if you wanted, but I would still reward when he gets it
right. Unless nothing else is working, I try to avoid using just
corrections.

As far as getting him to get up and go when it is time, like others have
said, come up with some kind of signal. Lexia is very alert and pays close
attention to her leash. I actually have to tell her down sometimes because
she gets up when I pick up the leash just to rearrange it. Try a command or
some kind of noise and reward for it. Make it fun. Don't ever drag him out.

Finally, you need to talk to your school about the documentation
inaccessibility.

Nicole and Lexia