[nagdu] Dog Attack

Tami Jarvis via nagdu nagdu at nfbnet.org
Wed May 28 17:30:07 UTC 2014

Craig,

Scary! Glad Chase was not badly injured, though any injury is bad enough.

Sounds like he used his instincts well to keep hostilities from ramping
up, so good on him. I think it's harder for dogs in harness to move to
use body language at times like that, though I've heard some schools are
starting to teach handlers to just let go of the dog so it can do what
it needs to do according to its instincts. Your wife was awesome, too!
Humans seem to fall to the temptation to reach their hands into the mess
to get control, but the power kick is the way to go to get the
combatants' attention. Also knees to the ribs, especially if you can
manage to knock the dog off its trajectory. It might take a time or two,
but the dog will start to think about things pretty quickly.

It also sounds like he came through with his confidence unmarred. It
might still be a good idea to keep an eye on that and ensure that he
keeps his confidence, say by using positive reinforcement and staying
calm yourself when other dogs are around. Of course, the real trick
there is keeping handler anxiety from affecting the dog. Long deep
breaths, smile big... Well, that's what I do if I'm feeling anxious and
don't want to pass it on to my dog. I also settle into my super
confident posture, which is part of the Alpha B 'tude, so I'm ahead of
the game there.

Letting go has been a part of my plan all along, though first I put
Mitzi behind me to see if I can use my own Alpha B 'tude to head things
off. The surprise attack like yours last night would defeat that
strategy, which is not a thought that cheers me up. I don't like feeling
powerless. But if Mitzi is free to do her thing, then I will have some
options, depending on the ground and how centered I am in orientation...
If I can hear the dog fight, I can kick and use my knees to break things
up. Maybe... My folded cane in my back pocket could come in handy,
too... Unless I'm carrying it in my purse. Then I guess the purse gets
sacrificed? I like having a plan, and Mitzi and I have done some
practice in playing at the dog park. I figured that since dog play is
practice for real hunting and fighting, I can do that, too, and figure
out how dogs of various types move and stuff. When Mitzi was young, I
spent a lot of time at the dog park letting her blow off all that
energy, so I had to keep myself entertained somehow. /lol/

I'm not surprised by the poodle's reaction. Mitzi did hard damage to my
nerves the first couple of times fights broke out at the park. All the
other dogs would run to watch, just like the people. Mitzi would run,
leap over the audience, and bite the aggressor in the butt, then leap
out of the circle before it could catch her. I was kinda impressed by my
little heroine, but I made sure to teach her to come to me and come
behind me instead. Still, I figure if by trying to divert an aggressor's
attention onto myself, I get into trouble, I have an idea what Mitzi
will do. So far, I've never had a test of whether my strategy is pure
bunk or not, which is fine with me. I feel better *having* a strategy,
so that helps me deal with small scares and near misses. Mitzi's pretty
good at judging dogs ahead of time, so I can tell from her whether there
is cause for concern in loose dogs or barking dogs. A couple of times
she has taken firm action to avoid, and other times I've felt her using
her "back off" look to quell a dog we were passing. So I listen to her,
too. She can make an idiot of herself being distracted sometimes, but
that means the dog is a friendly, so I can just deal with her without
fear of being eaten... Although I do keep an ear out for the other dog
just in case.

Hope Chase heals quickly and keeps his sunny disposition.

Tami