[nagdu] first-time convention attendee (with a dog, that is)

Elizabeth Campbell via nagdu nagdu at nfbnet.org
Thu May 29 02:16:55 UTC 2014

Hi Aleeha,
I'm glad you are traveling to convention with your guide!
I am working with my second guide from the Seeing Eye, and  he has been to
two NFB conventions with mea and has done beautifully! He even got to the
point where he was finding the set of doors in to the ballroom that were
near the Texas delegation, so I knew where to sit during general sessions.
I also had good experiences going to convention with my first guide.
I know this is easier said than done, but try to relax. Dogs definitely
sense when you are stressed.
Also, give your dog plenty of opportunities to relieve. I took mine out as
often as I could, and I can tell you that the designated relief areas were a
lifesaver!
Also, try to get a description of how the hotel is layed out before you
arrive so that you have an idea of where the front desk is in relation to
the doors in to the hotel along with locations of meeting rooms, restaurants
and so forth.
Also, be prepared for your dog to meet and greet other dogs! I'll admit that
when I first arrived at the conventions, Ihad a hard time keeping Gabe from
saying hi to the other dogs, but by my second day things were fine.
Also, I would spend time letting your dog rest and unwind. Remember that
both of you are away from your normal environment, so to speak.

Best  Liz