[nagdu] Lyft/Uber and Service Animal Access

Craig Heaps via nagdu nagdu at nfbnet.org
Thu May 29 22:12:07 UTC 2014

Here in the Bay Area, a man with a guide dog (Jonathan Lyens) said a driver
for Uber refused to pikc him up.  KTVU, Channel 2, did a story on it.  The
disability rights attorney in the story opined that Uber has the same
obligation as any ohter transportation provider.

Uber issued this statement:
"Uber will deactivate driver partners from the Uber platform who refuse to
transport a rider with a service animal. Uber welcomes service animals and
we are proud that our platform increases the mobility and freedom of blind
and vision-impaired users."

So Uber has made its position clear.  I would contact Lyft's top executives
and get them to do the same.

By the way, refusing such services in California is a violation of state law
and can lead to a fine of up to $2,500 dollars.

Craig and Chase