[nagdu] dog expenses question

Karyn & Thane via nagdu nagdu at nfbnet.org
Fri May 30 15:39:35 UTC 2014

Goodness all I can say is thank goodness my bank offered me a credit card
shortly before my previous dog passed away.

Thane had a lot of problems for a few years as a young guide which in the
end was finally diagnosed as chronic lyme but it took years to do so where
we were testing him for something on a monthly basis. Had I been healthy and
active then, I would have retired him, but I still would have had the
expenses. He was only diagnosed due to a friend who put the symptoms
together and encouraged me to ask for tick borne disease (TBD) testing.

I have spent thousands on him to rehabilitate him from Lyme. As a result of
this lesson (journey) no matter where I live, I will ALWAYS test for tick
borne diseases as this all happened in NW Oregon. The test isn't expensive
through Hemopet.org but the disease is.

But when it comes to the basics. I spend about $60-$70 a month on food
depending upon the supplier and food and if its free shipping as I sometimes
use multiple suppliers. I feed super premium food only. Thane was raw fed
for a few years (which was much more expensive than this due to where I
live- less discount resources). He came to a place where he could no longer
have that so I do the best I can now and try not to feed anything that has a
history of recalls or potential for ingredients from China.

I use a more expensive shampoo on Thane (~$12.00 if I shop around for deals
but can be as much as $16). but a bottle generally lasts us about 3-6 months
depending upon frequency of bathing. He needs more bathing during rainy
months with us reliant on fixed route transit to get around and him having a
lot of white fur.

Combs/ brushes/ other tools: Like Julie I bought some good tools years ago
so I dont have a monthly charge here. I do buy drums for the pedi paws nail
grinder about 1-2 times a year. I found them on Amazon as an add on product
last time for about $3 a box but usually they are about $10.00 unless Petco
has them on a sale. I go through 2-3 boxes a year with Thane as I choose to
change the drum every time to give us the best grinding capability.

Working Gear: Most gear I make myself so the cost is a lot less for say
harnesses, handles, raincoats, etc The current gear has lasted a year (3 yrs
on the raincoat). I purchased this harness for around $100 and modified it
as he needed a cooler harness for summer fast. I am designing his next one
right now and it'll probably cost about half that with ample supplies for
other gear projects left over.

Misc weather dependent gear: Boots/ coats/ etc-- I plan for these needs to
occur from time to time-- the kind of boots I use don't last as long but
they stay on Thane's awkward feet Ultra Paws is the brand in case there are
curious folks. I plan on getting the better lasting ones next time directly
from the company since no one else sells this model. Those ones run about
$80 I also like to keep PAWZ disposable boots on hand for any medical needs
to protect feet being treated from environment. Those can run anywhere from
$12-18 depending on website or if they are needed right away and thus have
to be bought locally.

This winter was very cold for a few spells so I bought Thane a fleece coat
to go under his harness. That was about $25

Thane has had sporadic foot and skin infections over our partnership of 6
years. These happen (foot) from bad terrain and construction or broken
bottle debris. As a result I keep good products for soaking, treating, and
protecting on hand. $30-$60 for all the products and quantities I like to
keep on the ready just in case. Like recently he shore two of his pads on
his front feet playing. Basically it is a contingency medical care category
including ointments, solutions, epsom salts, gauzes, vetwrap, cotton balls,
etc .

Veterinary Care.
This can vary depending on if you are in a small town with a small clinic or
a large city with hospital style vet practices. I spent about $26 for exam
in my small town before moving. Now the price is more like 50-60 for the
same and not any more competence/ skill for the added price so plan
accordingly. I plan for this expense now about 3-4 times a year to cover any
emergency needs. In the past he required care more frequently but this is my
preparatory approach presently. Sometimes he only goes in twice a year (and
much of that is just for a letter for Housing and Foodstamps case workers so
they will count expenses for the year)

Labs
I run all blood labs through hemopet unless answers are needed instantly. I
save a tremendous amount of money doing this. Take a look and/ or contact
them at Hemopet.org especially if you are in USA and have a dog needing
thyroid testing as they do the full panels through the lab they have. They
do accept international but the shipping would probably negate the savings.
If it were not for them, I would not have been able to handle the Lyme
followup care

Not everyone will need all of these things. I just rather plan for more than
I really will need. He takes a good chunk of my disability check. This was a
healthy dog when I got him just like most of the dogs many of you work with.
One tick bite is all it took to turn our life upside down like this.

Most vets unfortunately do not take payments-- there are a few out there
like Rox'E has, but generally it is a pay me now strategy. I would have had
to let Thane go to the bridge if it had not been for credit. Not ideal, but
it saved his life and our partnership. So it is important to imagine the
worst case scenarios when determining just what kind of expenses one might
incur

Karyn and Thane