[nagdu] For your information

Nicole Torcolini via nagdu nagdu at nfbnet.org
Sat May 31 03:09:50 UTC 2014

Marsha,

	That's mostly what I thought. I have been doing some one-handed
guide work lately because I carry my lunch to a different location to eat
it, and we've been running into more dog distractions on the way since the
food has been at food trucks lately and employees are allowed to bring their
pet dogs. Anyway, my suggestion for keeping the dog focused is to keep
talking to the dog if the dog seems to be distracted. The touch command
probably won't work if you only have one hand, but you could try to think of
some other command to serve the same purpose of just regaining the attention
of your dog. Sometimes just stopping, especially without saying halt first,
is enough to get the message across. If you are still having trouble getting
the message across that something is wrong, you can try acting upset as I
have found that body language and tone of voice, even noises that are not
actual words but rather sounds that convey that I am not happy, sometimes
work better than commands. I often use the leash to keep Lexia from veering
to the left. I have not really found a solution to this while holding the
harness handle and moving. However, if she gets too far to the left, I drop
the harness handle and reposition her with just the leash. The door is
definitely a hard one. If you can find it, some doors have a button that
people who use wheelchairs use to open the door. The only problem that I
find with these is that they open the left door, and Lexia does not like it
when the door is on her side, but this not a problem that all dogs have, and
you can usually get them to go through even if they don't like it. If the
door opens inward, you can unlatch it and then use your foot to shove it
open, but this does not work with heavier doors. Sometimes, I drop the
harness handle, loop the leash over my arm, and let Lexia follow me through,
making sure that the door does not shut on her; however, if the door is on
the left, this sometimes results in her inadvertently wrapping the leash
around me as she wants to go to my right side away from the door. One way to
prevent this, particularly if the door opens inward and is on the left, is
to kind of back in and spin as you go. Sometimes, there are enough people
around that you can get someone to open the door for you. Usually, I find
that people hold it open even if I don't ask because enough people are going
in and out anyway and/or they see that I am carrying something so don't have
use of my other hand. I hope that these were helpful, and I am always glad
to help brainstorm more if needed.

Nicole and Lexia