[nagdu] Extra seats?

GARY STEEVES rainshadowmusic at shaw.ca
Mon Nov 3 17:16:30 UTC 2014

Hi Daryl:

The issue here goes beyond company policy. It is actually the Canadian Transportation Agency (CTA) that requires any puvlic carrier to provide a seat space for a service dog over 50 Lbs. Personally I'm a big fan of this rule because my leggie poodle does not so easily curl up into a little ball in the same manner that labs seem to be able to do. However, I appreciate the issue. As an example, I was flying West Jet last fall and because it was a one way flight booked while on a Courage Canada programs trip to Alberta, I forgot to call their medical desk to add Bogart to my ticket as per their policy. When I called the day before the flight I was informed that the flight was full and I couldn't fly because there would be no seat for my dog. It is only a one  hour flight so I was willing to wave my rights. I had to go several levels of supervisors up to do this. In the end magically an empty seat appeared for Bogart beside me and everything was fine.

When I travelled on VIA Rail in eastern Canada with Bogart he actually got his own ticket. I'm sure he was pleased with that.

So I'm very much for this legislation we have in Canada and wish it existed in the states as well but I agree with the ADA in that we should be able to politely turn down an accomondation if we do not feel we need it.

Cheers

Gary