[nagdu] How often does a dog have to work?

Danielle Sykora dsykora29 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 23:53:32 UTC 2014

On 11/8/14, Lisa via nagdu <nagdu at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> Hey everyone!
>
> I would like to hear your opinion on the following question.
>
> How often does a guide dog have to work?
>
> By now, I've heard so many different things. Some say a dog has to be
> working every day or otherwise it would get frustrated, bored, angry,
> depressive... And others say it's completely fine to work the dog as often
> as you need to and in the mean time let it just be a happy dog, with play
> time and paying attention to it of course.
> I've also heard that there are dogs who really demand to get out and work
> and others who are fine with one or two lazy days in between.
> So, what do you think? Does it depend on how energetic and active the dog
> is? What if I twisted my ankle and would want to cure it for five days or
> so? Would it be okay to neglect guide work then?
> Just curious.
>
> best
> Lisa

> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nagdu_nfbnet.org/dsykora29%40gmail.com

Hi Lisa,

That's a great question! I think this has a lot to do with the energy
level of your dog. I have a very, very, very energetic dog who needs
to work, or get some serious exercise,  everyday or his behavior
suffers. A less energetic dog does not need as much exercise. Of
course every once in a while, something like an injury or illness
happens where you can't work your dog and your dog should be fine
missing a day or even a few days of work.

Danielle and Thai