[nagdu] How often does a dog have to work?

Becky Frankeberger b.butterfly at comcast.net
Sun Nov 9 00:57:44 UTC 2014

Lisa, my first dog would get distrubtive if he didn't work five or six times
a week. My second had so many problems and was just not sharp, I worked him
twice a day. My third didn't care if he worked or not. Jake is like that as
well. But for the first several months I worked them every day to learn the
signals they tell you if you listen. My first dog would curl around me at
curbs and steps. So I had to learn to anticipate his signals. He also would
want to go in places we were previously, so I had to anticipate that as well
and signal him forward. My second had foot shuffles that meant different
things. A stop foot shuffle and he leaned into the harness meant the
sidewalk is rough but we can go through it slowly. A slow down foot shuffle
and his big head swung to the side, meant he had to relieve himself soon. I
would have never known these valuable signals if I didn't work the dog and
listen to my dog. My second would tense up, that meant there was a dog
nearby. If he tensed up and started breathing hard that meant there was
someone we knew well. My second was by far the easiest to read, once I
learned his signals and what they meant. Jake is so focused on his work he
has very few signals.

So the rule for me is anyway,the dogs work nearly every day for the first
several month or month, usually until our work is smooth almost effortless.

Sorry there is not a one size fits all answer.

Becky and golden Jake