[nagdu] How often does a dog have to work?

Raven Tolliver ravend729 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 13:36:21 UTC 2014

Sorry, but there's no law saying anything about a service dog's gear,
save for the leash or tether.
I consider the whole of campus to be my home, and in my home, my dog
is not in harness. Given, we're in public, so I use the leash,
especially since he's leash-guiding. I have totally taken him into
buildings here out-of-harness, and he is well-behaved. Here on campus,
I use the harness at my discretion. We will exit campus with him
out-of-harness, but if we enter a business, I put his harness on so
there's no hassle from anyone.
It works for us. I'm not in danger, and he is not a disturbance or a
nuisance to anyone. If it doesn't work for you, fine. but I am able to
tell what is safe and unsafe, and what is appropriate when.

GEB discourages leash-guiding, and they were on me for it constantly
in class. The Golden Guy just does it naturally, so when I returned to
campus, I allowed him to leash-guide. I imagine teaching it wouldn't
be too different from teaching a dog to pull in the harness.

On 11/10/14, Danielle Burton via nagdu <nagdu at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the law also says that a dog does not
> have to wear anything specific to identify it as an assistance dog in
> general. I also think a college campus is a bit of a different situation
> than out in public. Things you do on campus you won't do in public such as
> wear pajamas to class and the like. And to be ho"st nobody really cares on a
> college campus because nobody has time for it plus everybody's walking
> around with a book and not even paying attention when crossing a street. So,
> I think as long as Raven's dog can do leash guiding and if it works for them
> ed he's is a safe working guide than I don't think we should judge that. I
> personally keep my harness on but I do take my dog places on campus where I
> do take her harness off and let her rest but I do keep my leash on unless
> she's in my ddrm room.  I have a private room because I wanted my dog to
> have a place where she could have freedom. And ifi had a roommate I wouldn't
> be able to allow that freedom in case my roommate wasn't willing to dog
> proof. And before anyone starts telling me to always listen for my dog I
> can't. If a roommate were to put something where my dog could easily get it
> without effort I won't hear her. That is why I have to keep her on leash in
> my parent's house because I can't always hear her. Some"times I can and
> sometimes I can't. And if she is going to get into anything I'd rather it be
> my stuff than someone else's. Although she has made a ton of improvement in
> keeping her paws off the counters.
>
> Danielle and Willa
>

>> On Nov 10, 2014, at 7:02 AM, Vivianna via nagdu <nagdu at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>>
>> Is it not only recommended but also part of the law that our dogs must be
>> wearing a harness to designate them as guide dogs?
>> I mean, if you are just leading the dog around on the leash, allowing it
>> to sniff around etc then, it is not acting as a guide.
>> I urge folks to, please, for the rest of us out here using guides, keep
>> your harness on.
>> JMHO
>>
>> Vivianna
>>
>>> On Nov 10, 2014, at 5:43 AM, Danielle Burton via nagdu <nagdu at nfbnet.org>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> No, Guiding Eyes doesn't teach leash guiding. I am kind of curious on how
>>> you teach dog to do that od they pick up on it?
>>>
>>> Danielle and Willa

>>> nagdu:
>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nagdu_nfbnet.org/irishana%40gmail.com

>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nagdu_nfbnet.org/danielleburton94%40gmail.com

Raven
"if God didn't make it, don't eat it." - John B. Symes, D.V.M.
http://dogtorj.com