[nagdu] Class Saturday+

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Mon Nov 10 19:26:26 UTC 2014

Saturday, we went into NYC.  We drove in, so Krokus got practice in a car.
We took the subway up to Columbus Circle, then walked past Central Park.
Krokus was somewhat distracted by the carriage horses, but not the pigeons.
We went into FAO Schwartz, a world-famous toy store.  Krokus tried to pick
up a stuffed bird.  He is a retriever.  My classmate bought a present for
someone, and I waited by an aisle while she paid.  Krokusgot lots of
practice ignoring people passing by and saying how beautiful he is.
Then we walked over to Grand Central Station.  We relieved the dogs at the
curb, and Krokus peed as if he'd been beeing curbed every day of his life.
In Grand Central, he picked up something someone had thrown down.  I took it
away, but he got the idea that I can't stop him grabbing things, and has
been on the lookout since.  Something to work on.  We took the shuttle back
to Times Square, ate at a pizzeria, went to a souvenir shop, where Krokus
tried to carry off another stuffed toy, and went to Cake Boss.  I got myself
a lobster claw--pastry and cream--yum!  Then we went back to the car and
back to Morristown.
The City was crowded, as always.  Krokus did well.  He bumped me into some
people, but Sue said some of them leapt out in front of us, not looking
around them.
Saturday evening,
we had the clicker lecture.  We'd been using the clicker before to target
some things, and the lecture explained the theory and practice.
After park that night, we had a wine and Scrabble party late into the
evening, a real blast.
 Sunday, not much, just walking the leisure path around the grounds a few
times.
And today I'm home!  I'm working now with Jan Abbot, who trained Krokus.  We
worked around my neighborhood, targetting a couple crosswalk poles, crossing
a funny intersection, and working a sidewalkless area. We went into a couple
stores I use, so Krokus had a destination.  One of the owners said No Dogs.
I think she didn't recognize me with a different color dog.  Very odd.
Jan said that Krokus's brothers and sisters were either black or
pumpkin-orange.  He's the only really yellow one.  He has gold eyes, which
people say are unusual.
He's being a very excitable puppy in his new place.  He's picking up
everything he can, despite our efforts to puppy-proof.  He's very interested
in my husband, who has animal magnetism.
Ben was very excited to see me, and me him.  Now he's just wondering who
this nut is with me.
Tomorrow and Wednesday, Jan and I tackle Manhattan.

Tracy