[nagdu] Reworking hubby distraction

Daryl Marie crazymusician at shaw.ca
Mon Nov 10 19:35:52 UTC 2014

Hey!
Ever since getting her yearly vaccines in August, Jenny made some regression in her training, so we've had to rework a few things that we had done successfully before the vaccines and she had succeeded with.

Recently I have noticed that we have had to rework hubby distraction, which is nearly impossible because of our schedules.

I took today off work because tomorrow is a stat holiday in Canada (Remembrance Day).  I decided to work iwth Jenny on this after she nearly ran me full throttle toward our car last night after getting off the bus from a weekend away.\

I started her by recharging the clicker; she got it right away.  I have decided to use praise instead of treats, because she tends to get too overexcited with treats and the praise seems to make things stick easier.

Hubby came home from his morning shift, and Jenny went nuts at the door.   I told her to go to her bed and lay down, after which I praised and clicked.  She stayed calmly on her bed, I told her "no parties" (which for some reason she seems to understand as "be happy but relax a bit") and she calmly said hi to hubby.

Hubby went out again to buy some boots, and Jenny ran downstairs to meet him when he came back.  I told her calmly to come, which she  click, praise.  She likes the landing on our stairs because she can see the whole m ain floor of the house from there, so I told her to sit and stay there.  She did; click, praise.  Hubby and I had a conversation, he showed me his new boots, etc.  I occasionally would click and praise, saying, "Good stay, Jenn."  I then released her from the stay, and the came happily but calmly up to hubby, said hello.  Click, praise.

I know we have a long way to go, but I am so encouraged by this :)

Daryl