[nagdu] our efforts with zoos

Cindy Ray cindyray at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 03:29:03 UTC 2014

I don't get this opposition to our work with the zoos and the animals. In
Kansas, we began working on this issue in the 1980s when zoos wanted to be
exempted from the White Cane law so that dogs couldn't be allowed in. Since
then there have been other experiences, and we had the folks from the zoo
association, (Sorry, Marion) at NAGDU. The animals are not likely to get
upset if the dogs are there. I took mine to the zoo in Louisville and no
animals were upset. As I recall from reading the article, they are working
to have the animals, or some of them maybe, meet the dogs a little, but
there is really no reason why dogs should not go to zoos. I think some of
the biggest concerns we heard in Kansas was a fear that our dogs would give
the animals diseases. Some of the veterinarians said they would be less
concerned about the dogs and more concerned about some people who come in
the zoos. Animals are kept in safe places. I guess there are some that are
in habitat, and I don't know how this is dealt with, but children are more
likely to upset animals than are the dogs, yet children are allowed in zoos.
And the same thing applies that does everywhere else. If the handler does
not have control over the dog and it is acting out, then they gotta leave,
or at least the dog does.

Cindy