[nagdu] crate vs tie-down

GARY STEEVES rainshadowmusic at shaw.ca
Wed Nov 12 18:42:18 UTC 2014

Hi Tracy:

That soums very annoying. My school gave us the options around crating and since I knew I had no room in my apartment for a big crate I starte giving Bogart freedom slowly at school. At first I had him sleep in there and go in there if I had to have a shower but within a few days I would leave the door open. They also wanted us to keep him on a leash which I did for the first day or so but thought it was a bit silly and again gave him more freedom. Our  dorm rooms don't have much to get into so I thought it a good way to work on building trust. He never got into anything except diggin treats out  of a pants pocket once. :) At home it was the same thing. For a day I kept him on a leash but  I just found this too much of a hassle and again gave him freedom with a watchful eye. At night I put is bed in my room and closed the door so he wouldn't wander.

I guess what I think is you have to figure out what your dog is capable of and work with that. I forget, but perhaps your program is a short one? My program with Bogart was amonth at the school so lots of time to slowly do things and see the results. I wonder how it will be with my next dog who will most likely be a home training experience. :)

Good luck
Gary