[nagdu] Ear Infections

Steven Johnson blinddog3 at charter.net
Fri Nov 14 00:07:04 UTC 2014

Here's another recipe I have used successfully with my labs.  It's called Blue Power.

INGREDIENTS:
16 Oz. bottle of Isopropyl Alcohol (standard 70%)
4 Tablespoons of Boric Acid Powder
16 Drops of Gentian Violet Solution 1% (see end of article for more information)
Mix together in alcohol bottle and shake well.
You will need to shake solution every time you use it to disperse the Boric Acid Powder.
Purchase a flexible plastic bottle with the opening at the top so that the solution may be
gently squeezed out and dispense solution to affected ears. The ideal is a hair-dye bottle
available at a pharmacy, Wal-Mart, Target, etc, or a beauty supply store.
TREATMENT PROCEDURE:
1) Evaluate condition of ears before treating and if very inflamed and sore:
do not attempt to pull hair or clean out ear at all. Just flush and then wait until
inflammation has subsided, which will be about two days.
2) Warm the solution (as instructed above) and shake the bottle each time before
using it for treatment,.
3) Flood the ear with solution (gently squirt bottle).
4) Massage gently to the count of 60, wipe with a tissue.
5) On first treatment: flood the ear twice, wipe with a tissue, and leave alone without
massage.
6) The dog will shake out the excess, which can be wiped with a tissue.
Note: the Gentian Violet does stain fabrics, etc. so you may want to wear gloves.
Page 3 of 12
Blue Power Ear Treatment www.ItsForTheAnimals.com
It’s For The Animals! Natural Care & Resources by Helen L. McKinnon
The SCHEDULE of treatment is as follows:
Treat TWICE a day for the first week to two weeks, depending upon severity of ears.
After the second or third day you can clean out the ear with a Q-tip or cotton balls (see caution below).
Treat ONCE a day for the next 1-2 weeks.
Treat ONCE a month (or even less frequently, depending on the dog).
Caution: When using a Q-tip, only insert it as far into the ear canal as you can
actually see. Use care to prevent the gunk from falling down into the ear canal.
Note: All of these ingredients should
be available at a pharmacy, and some
will special order items for you. One
brand of the Gentian Violet 1% solution
is "Humco" and the one ounce bottle
typically sells for slightly over $3. It is
called an "Antiseptic First Aid Anti-
infective". The Boric Acid powder in
the 4 ounce size typically sells for about
$3.25 and is usually in stock at the
pharmacy.
Users of the Blue Power Ear Treatment
have found that, unless the dog has
abraded the skin by scratching, the
alcohol doesn’t sting and the dog will
not object to even the first treatment.
The Boric Acid Powder soothes the ear.
The Gentian Violet Solution is an anti-
infection agent, as it is a dye mixture
that acts as a bactericide, fungicide, and
anthelmintic (destroys worms).
Remember, gentian violet will stain
hair, clothing, etc.
As for the source for Gentian Violet, it,
along with all the other ingredients, as
was previously mentioned, should be
available at a pharmacy, or may have to
be special ordered. The Gentian Violet
comes in small bottles, similar to iodine,
not at all expensive and will provide
enough to make gallons of the Blue
Power Ear Treatment. (Please see very
end of this article for more information
about Gentian Violet).
A very easy method to make the formula
is to poke a hole in the top of the cap of
the bottle of alcohol, add the Boric Acid,
and then the drops of Gentian Violet.
The Blue Power Ear Treatment as
detailed above appears to work well on
any and all ear problems from mites to
wax to canker. The success rate for this
treatment is said to be 95-99%. Those
who do not succeed have usually not
done the treatment long enough or have
not been regular about it.
According to the reports, dogs on the
verge of ear canal surgery have been
returned to normal with only the regular
follow-up treatment to keep the ear
healthy.
If an infection seems to be remaining in
the treated ear after the above course of
treatment, there may also be some
Pseudomonas bacteria in the site. This
can be eradicated by using a gentle flush
of raw apple cider vinegar and water
(warmed). Use 2 Tablespoons of
vinegar to one cup of water (warmedup),
TWICE per week.
Page 4 of 12
Blue Power Ear Treatment www.ItsForTheAnimals.com
It’s For The Animals! Natural Care & Resources by Helen L. McKinnon
The Blue Power Ear Treatment has been
found to be effective for treating fungus-
type infections on the feet and elsewhere
on the dog, for cuts on dogs or people,
and for hot spots. You may find other
uses for this simple anti-infective agent.

Remember it is for external use only

and be careful not to get into the eyes.
One gal let me know that her dog's ear
problem responded only when the
Gentian Violet was omitted. Another
gal, Diane Whitehouse, a Poodle fancier,
states: "First, the stuff has worked
miracles for us, too! I'm so glad to know
about it ... the recipe I was initially given
years ago called for 16 drops of 2%
Gentian Violet, rather than 1%. I've
always mixed it that way, and passed
that along to a couple of Poodle friends
who did not have success with the recipe
[with only 1% Gentian Violet] ...” In
both cases, adding the additional Gentian
Violet resulted in success. She adds a
helpful caution: "And.....The vet must
rule out a punctured ear drum before
using The Blue Power Ear
Treatment." The one Poodle friend who
told me his Poodle reacted as though
treatment was very painful took his girl
to the vet and learned she did have a
punctured ear drum."
For those who find the Blue Power
Ear Treatment successful, I have some
suggestions: After your dog's ears are
looking normal for a while, it really
would be a good idea to find out what is
actually causing the ear problem.
As mentioned earlier when I was feeding
commercial feed, my dogs' and cats' ears
had quite a bit of that 'black gunk' in
them. In 1984, I'd been told by my
holistic vet, Richard Kearns, DVM, that
this was one of the body's ways of
detoxifying itself. Sure enough, after
being fed only fresh foods for a few
months, that 'black gunk' virtually
disappeared.
Also, it's been my experience, and that
of many others, to notice a favorable
improvement in their dog's and cat's
ears-- and overall health, when the
following three supplements mentioned
below are added to the diet. These
nutritional supplements are just added to
the food and are excellent for us too! A
note about the following recommended
products: there is no financial affiliation
between this author and any company
mentioned. The products included here
are simply ‘tried and true’ favorites,
which I feel are superior to others for a
variety of reasons.
Three Important Considerations Which
May Be Related to Ear Problems:
1) Probiotics These are commonly
referred to as intestinal flora
'normalizers', Acidophilus, Lactobacillus
Acidophilus, and Bifidus are what I’ve
used. Known as the friendly bacteria,
they’re found in a healthy intestinal tract
and are crucial for good health and
proper absorption of nutrients.
According to a recent study (Hamilton-
Miller 1996), only 2 out of 13 products
had what their label claimed in viable
friendly bacteria. I buy only the
refrigerated brand and Natren is an
excellent choice.
2) Digestive Enzymes To my
knowledge, Prozyme Digestive Enzyme
formula is the only digestive enzyme
product with peer-reviewed scientific
studies to prove that it increases the
absorption of vital nutrients (up to a 71%
increase), including EFAs (Essential
Fatty Acids). Prozyme comes in a
powder that is sprinkled on top of the
Page 5 of 12
Blue Power Ear Treatment www.ItsForTheAnimals.com
It’s For The Animals! Natural Care & Resources by Helen L. McKinnon
food in the dish at dinnertime. I also
sprinkle a capsule of Pancreatin (any
brand) on the food for my older dog's
protein digestion. First-time users of
Prozyme may get a free 85-gram trial
size by calling Prozyme at 800/5225537,
there's just a $5 shipping and
handling charge. Incidentally, Prozyme
has a money-back guarantee and has a
human formula, TymeZyme (capsules),
which my husband and I take with each
meal.
3) Essential Fatty Acids (EFAs) Many
years ago I was researching a problem
that my husband had: excessive ear wax
buildup (think: brown gunk). It turns out
that ear wax accumulation is a symptom
of a deficiency of EFAs. Another
symptom is ‘Dry Eye’. These types of
good fats (EFAs) are critically
important for our health as well as our
animals, and must be provided in the
diet. There are lots of types of EFAs
and, to keep it simple here, understand
that these fats/oils are NOT for cooking.
In fact, it’s very important that they be
kept away from light, heat, and air.
Avoid partially hydrogenated fat and
trans fats such as margarine.
My favorite EFAs are Nordic Naturals
fish oils and Omega Nutrition's certified
organic, Hemp Seed Oil as it is said to
be 'nature's perfectly balanced oil'.
However, the restrictions of the
government may currently prohibit
shipping to the US. What is great about
the Hemp Oil is that it contains omega-3
and omega-6 EFAs and the vital GLA
(Gamma-Linolenic Acid) GLA is one of
the omega-6 EFAs such as Borage Oil,
Black Currant Oil and Evening Primrose
Oil. Other companies press seeds that
have been sterilized (irradiated) and then
pressed into oil, which is unacceptable to
me. Opt for 2nd day air delivery.
Contact Omega Nutrition:
http://www.omeganutrition.com or call
800/ 661-3529. Their US office is
located in Bellingham, WA, and for
Canadians, in Vancouver, BC. Be sure
to request their very informative Product
Book and Catalog which are free.
Also, another very good organic EFA
blend is Barlean's Omega Twin and it's
available in the refrigerated case of most
health food stores or you can call 800/
445-3529 for the nearest distributor.
In addition to the EFA's, I add a good
amount of butter (preferably organic) in
addition to broth (from cooking bones)
in the water that the grains are cooked
for "Helen's Big Batch Recipe".
Some people have found that their dog’s
ear problem was related to thyroid
dysfunction. So, you may want to
consider having a complete thyroid
panel test through Hemopet and more
information is available at the following:
www.itsfortheanimals.com/HEMOPET.
HTM 714/ 891-2022 (Pacific Time).
The Ears and The Body Detoxifying

Connection I suspect the pesticide
residue in the conventionally grown
grains could very well be the culprit for
what some folks refer to as a "grain
allergy" in their dogs. Pesticides are just
one of the chemicals that can be
adversely affecting our companions (and
us). Seriously consider feeding only
organic food and supplements. For most
of us, organic meat may not always be
available or it is too expensive, and,
therefore, human-grade quality is the
next best choice. However, organic
grains are readily available and the cost
is only slightly higher, especially when
buying in bulk.
Page 6 of 12
Blue Power Ear Treatment www.ItsForTheAnimals.com
It’s For The Animals! Natural Care & Resources by Helen L. McKinnon
Since 1978, I’ve been following a
holistic approach to health. In March of
1995, after reading Ann Martin’s article
in Natural Pet magazine, Does Your Dog
Food Bark? A Study of the Pet Food
Fallacy, I completely eliminated
commercially manufactured feed stuff. I
Toxins can be chemicals which may be:
just can’t consider it healthy food.
Remember, most animals should have
this transition to fresh foods gradually. I
also avoid exposure to other chemicals,
including flea/tick preparations,
unnecessary vaccinations, and
heartworm drugs, see the following:
http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/NEWS
.HTM
Absorbed either through the skin as in topical flea/tick treatments, dips, shampoos or through the paws as with cleaning products, and pressure treated
lumber
Inhaled - room fresheners, indoor/outdoor pollution and outgassing of new carpeting.
Ingested - pesticide-laden food, heartworm drugs, antibiotics, or other medications.
Injected - vaccinations and other drugs. Be advised that all vaccine manufacturers' package inserts say: "Only healthy animals should be vaccinated". Even
a rash, itchiness, or a slight infection means that an animal is NOT healthy and should NOT be vaccinated. (please see important information and references
at: www.itsfortheanimals.com/VACCINE1.HTM )
Another factor contributing to ear
infections may be all those
vaccinations that the animals are
receiving, unnecessarily. Consider the
fact that vaccines contain deadly toxins
such as mercury, aluminum and
formaldehyde. (please see additional
important information and references at:
www.itsfortheanimals.com/OVRVAC.H
TM) Since 1994, my animals have NOT
received those notorious annual
“booster” vaccinations because I'd read
the quote from from Kirk's Current
Veterinary Therapy, Volume XI "A
practice that was started many years ago
and that lacks scientific validity or
verification is annual revaccinations.".1
By becoming educated and making the
changes for the better, I know that it has
helped my companion animals to be
healthier and happier.
Some Helpful Alternatives Used For Ear Problems Passed Along:
As a suggestion, you may want to read
some helpful information about ear
problems at the following link:
http://animalpetdoctor.homestead.com/E
ars.html Also, Zymox, is an enzymatic
medication available from veterinarians,
which Roger Ross, DVM calls a
“Miracle Ear Cleaning Product”:
http://animalpetdoctor.homestead.com/Z
ymox.html Another source for a similar
product:http://www.myitchydog.com/zy
moxe.html Also see the following:
http://www.crvetcenter.com/otitis.htm
"Chronic ear infections are one of the
most common reasons for dog owners to
seek veterinary care. Numerous products
are sold for cleaning and treating
inflammatory and infectious diseases of
Page 7 of 12
Blue Power Ear Treatment www.ItsForTheAnimals.com
It’s For The Animals! Natural Care & Resources by Helen L. McKinnon
the ear. Left untreated, the worst cases
may require surgery to obliterate the
vertical ear canal (ear canal ablation), a
horrible conclusion to an already painful
condition. Dog ear infection or otitis
externa is treatable without resorting to
cleaning products, medications, or
surgery." Also see this Web Page:
http://www.crvetcenter.com/healthplan.h
tm "How we treat ear infections" "....fill
the ears with a natural ear medication
(antibacterial and antifungal) called
"Zymox-E" once a day for 5 days.”
http://www.petkingbrands.com
Other people have been using Colloidal
Silver (CS) with great success -- which
is very dependent upon the particular
brand or quality of CS. Some folks have
seen immediate results with CS, whereas
the Blue Power Ear Treatment may take
several days to notice improvement.
Again, please warm the solution prior to
putting it into an animal's ear. This can
be accomplished by simply soaking the
bottle in a bowl of hot water. The
typical method is to use an eye dropper-
full of CS in each ear to thoroughly coat
the entire area every two hours, and most
folks notice that the animal will no
longer be shaking his or her head. Then,
treat with half a dropper-full every two
hours. Also, after applying the CS, it's
recommended to gently wipe the ear
with a wash cloth soaked in warm water
(wrung out) and then repeat this an hour
later. Treat twice a day for the first few
days, then after improvement is
noticeable, reduce the treatment to once
a day, and later to once every other day.
It's suggested that optimal results are
obtained when CS is used frequently and
in small doses.
Caution: if you must dilute Colloidal
Silver, CS, use distilled water or well
water. Tap water typically contains
chlorine and when combined with silver
it creates silver chloride which is NOT
to be used.
Many people consider the CS available
at the Health Foods Stores to be of
inferior quality as it's not really true
electro colloidal silver but a diluted
liquid of silver protein. It's not a
panacea, and will only be effective if it
actually comes in contact with the viral,
bacterial or fungal infection. Keep it
refrigerated and if it’s cloudy, discard it.
A reliable source for CS is (no financial
affiliation):
http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/wholi
sticproduct.html#COLLOIDALSILVER
USPS Mail ONLY to: Wolf Creek Ranch,
15980 Grand Avenue, Ste. M-37, Lake
Elsinore, CA 92530
Please let me know what has been most
helpful for you – email:
Mail at ItsForTheAnimals.com
Some folks are recommending a liquid
herbal product specifically formulated
for companion animals: "Natural Ear
Comfort" by BioPathics
www.biopathics.com/natural_ear.htm
They are the manufacturers of the
product which is so helpful for joints and
connective tissue health, "Cartilade". I
would appreciate hearing from folks
who have found it to be effective.
Page 8 of 12
Blue Power Ear Treatment www.ItsForTheAnimals.com
It’s For The Animals! Natural Care & Resources by Helen L. McKinnon
An annual wellness exam for our dogs is recommended during which blood can be
drawn and the vaccine titers (www.itsfortheanimals.com/HEMOPET.HTM - 714/ 8912022
-- Pacific Time), rather than have unnecessary revaccinations. For competent,
reliable medical advice, it's always good to consult with a compassionate veterinarian
who utilizes holistic modalities and is knowledgeable about nutrition in your area. To
locate one in your area, contact: The American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association
http://www.ahvma.org 410/ 569-0795.
Our warm, loving companions depend upon us for their well-being. We owe it to them to
make informed decisions. In addition to reading the many good books available
(http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/PUB.HTM), there’s many Internet Discussion Groups
to keep abreast of the latest information.
I am the administrator of a friendly Yahoo Internet Discussion Group, Companion
Animal Care – Naturally and you are cordially invited to join us to share and learn:
There are also free e-Newsletters, and I am editor of Companion Animals Natural Care
Newsletter: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CompanionAnimalsNaturalCareNewsletter/
Give your dogs a Big Hug for me! – Helen Helen McKinnon is the author of It's For
The Animals! Natural Care & Resources and http://www.ItsForTheAnimals.com Your
comments and suggestions are welcome. Contact: Helen at ItsForTheAnimals.com PO
Box 1913 Fairview, NC 28730 USA 828/ 628-7999
scientifically studied and repeatedly published in peer-reviewed veterinary literature for over a dozen years.
The following references provide documentation:
DVM Vaccine Roundtable: Safety, efficacy heart of vaccine use: experts discuss pros, cons, DVM
Newsmagazine 119:16, 1988
Hoskins, JD: Vaccination protocol for canine parvovirus, Vet Forum 13(1):60, 1996
Schultz RD: Canine vaccines and immunity: important considerations in the success of vaccination
programs. In Small Animal Immunology: New Faces of Immune-Mediated Diseases and Current Concepts
in Vaccine Immunology, Proc San Diego Spring Vet Conf, pp 100-113, May 6-7, 1995b
Tizard I: Risks associated with use of live vaccines, J Am Vet Med Assoc 196:1851, 1990
Some additional information which you might find helpful with regard to the judicial use of vaccines:
Coulter, Harris, PhD, Vaccination, Social Violence and Criminality, North Atlantic Books, 1990.
Day, Christopher, E.I., MRCVS Isopathic Prevention of Kennel Cough - Is Vaccination Justified?
International Journal of Veterinary Homeopathy, Vol. 2, number 2, 1987.
Dodds, W. Jean, DVM, More Bumps on the Vaccine Road, Proceedings of the American Holistic
Veterinary Medical Association, 1995.
T.R.
Phillips, T.R., DVM and Ron Schultz, PhD, Canine and Feline Vaccinations in Current Veterinary Therapy, Volume XI Robert Kirk, DVM and John Bonagura, DVM,
eds., 1992 Pitcairn, Richard, DVM, PhD, A New Look at the Vaccine Questions. Proceedings of the American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association, 1993.
Scheibner, Viera, PhD, Vaccination: The Medical Assault on the Immune System, Australian Print Group, Maryborough, Victoria, Australia, 1993, p. 21. Schultz,
Ronald D., PhD, American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association Annual Conference, 1995. Schultz, Ronald D., PhD, Current and Future Canine and Feline
Vaccination Programs, in Veterinary Medicine 1998.
Page 9 of 12
Blue Power Ear Treatment www.ItsForTheAnimals.com
It’s For The Animals! Natural Care & Resources by Helen L. McKinnon
To follow are the References and information regarding putting solutions
into the ear canal. Please Note: from what I’ve read, just about anything* put into
the ear canal can be ototoxic [**] -- if the ear drum is ruptured. Care should be taken to
prevent anything from entering the Middle Ear [*] and the Inner Ear.
As for the gentian violet, the Blue Power Ear Treatment has a tiny amount of it in the
formula and this treatment has benefited untold numbers of dogs over the past 30+
years. The many, many wonderful reports I’ve received from people whose dogs suffered
because conventional treatment failed, almost giving up hope and at the point of
scheduling surgery, have convinced me that the Blue Power Ear Treatment really does
work.
Though I’ve never used it, and don’t sell it, Veterinarians recommend the Blue Power Ear
Treatment and some make it up and sell it to their clients.
Sometimes, with broken skin due to a rash, or should the dog scratch the outer skin of
the ear, the alcohol in the formula will sting. The CAUTION to remember is that serious
damage (irreversible deafness, and/or loss of equilibrium) can occur if anything is put
into an ear canal where the ear drum is ruptured.
Please remember that we need to make informed decisions concerning the care of our
beloved animals and this includes doing one’s homework. Understand that it’s advised
to have a veterinarian examine our dog prior to attempting to treat something such as a
painful ear infection ourselves. Just about anything can be abused/misused, whether it’s
“natural” or “synthetic”.
There have been indications about of gentian violet being toxic, a study in guinea pigs
and the abstract doesn’t indicate the amount of gentian violet used or if it was diluted. It
appears that the gentian entered the Middle Ear [*] and /or Inner Ear. However, doing a
search on google will provide many other references where gentian violet is commonly
used and has been used with traditional medicine for ages.
Some experts recommend gentian violet to prevent Candida yeast overgrowth when
breastfeeding. Others state that vinegar, alcohol, and many other commonly used
products (antibiotics, etc.) have the potential to harm the sensitive Middle [*] and inner
ear.
http://www.arabmedmag.com/issue-31-03-2004/orl/main02.htm
“Characteristics of systemic and topical agents implicated in toxicity of the
middle and inner ear” Peter S. Roland, MD
http://www.entusa.com/ear_pain_&_discomfort.htm (human)
“Ear Itching is a common complaint. It is often associated with dry ear canals and
absent ear wax. Medically, this condition is called Chronic Otitis Externa. This
condition is often caused by an allergy to fungus. The ear canal is a warm, dark, damp
place and fungus often grows there. Antibiotics are ineffective and the condition has been
known to last for years. Over the counter medicines, lotrimin and tinactin solution used
two to four times a day, can be helpful. However, the best treatment I have found is
filling the ear canal with an anti-fungal cream. Painting the ear canal with gentian violet
Page 10 of 12
Blue Power Ear Treatment www.ItsForTheAnimals.com
It’s For The Animals! Natural Care & Resources by Helen L. McKinnon
dye is also effective but this dye should not get into the middle ear [*] because of
possible ototoxicity [**]. The dye also stains and thus one must be careful in its
application. The ear must also be cleaned by an Ear Doctor. Treatment may last for
months and relapses are common. The capability of the ear to make wax often does not
return and this may predispose to the recurrences. In general dyes and acid mixtures
(antiseptics) should not be allowed to get into the middle ear.”
[*] Middle Ear – “an air containing cavity between the eardrum and the middle ear that
contains the three ear bones (malleus, incus, & stapes). This cavity is connected to the
nasopharynx by the eustachian tube.” / “part of the ear that includes the eardrum and
three tiny bones of the middle ear, ending at the round window that leads to the inner
ear.”
[**] Ototoxicity: “The ability of a drug or chemical to damage or poison the inner ear,
resulting in a hearing loss or dizziness”
The round window as access route for agents injurious to the inner ear
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=3228184&
dopt=Abstract
Am J Otolaryngology, 1988 Nov-Dec;9(6):327-35
Spandow O, Anniko M, Moller AR.
Ototoxicity of common topical antimycotic preparations. [
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=10763995
&dopt=Abstract
Laryngoscope, 2000 Apr;110(4):509-16.
Tom LW.
http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~struwe/gentnet/
http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/g/gentia08.html
http://www.swcoloradowildflowers.com/Blue%20Purple%20Enlarged%20Photo%20Pag
es/gentian.htm
“The name, "gentian", is derived from "Gentius", a King of Illyria who is
reputed to have found the local form of this plant beneficial for curing
malaria in his troops.”
http://www.purplesage.org.uk/profiles/gentian.htm
“Additional Comments: Gentian is named after Gentius, King of Illyria in the 1st
century BC, who is said to have discovered the plant's ability to reduce fevers. Gentian
root is used in many bitter liqueurs. Other species of Gentiana, known as longdan, are
prescribed in Chinese medicine for similar conditions to those outlined above, as well as
for conjunctivitis, urinary tract infections, jaundice, hepatitis, eczema and other skin
problems.”
Bibliography
BHMA 1983 British Herbal Pharmacopoeia, BHMA, Bournemouth.
Bradley, P.R. (ed.) 1992 British Herbal Compendium, Volume 1, BHMA, Bournemouth.
Grieve, M. 1931 A Modern Herbal, (ed. C.F. Leyel 1985), London.
Page 11 of 12
Blue Power Ear Treatment www.ItsForTheAnimals.com
It’s For The Animals! Natural Care & Resources by Helen L. McKinnon
Hoffmann, D. 1990 The New Holistic Herbal, Second Edition, Element, Shaftesbury.
Lust, J. 1990 The Herb Book, Bantam, London.
Mabey, R. (ed.) 1991 The Complete New Herbal, Penguin, London.
Mills, S.Y. 1993 The Essential Book of Herbal Medicine, Penguin, London (First published in
1991 as Out of the Earth, Arkana)
Mills, S.Y. 1993 The A-Z of Modern Herbalism, Diamond Books, London.
Ody, P. 1993 The Herb Society's Complete Medicinal Herbal, Dorling Kindersley, London.
Polunin, M. and Robbins, C. 1992 The Natural Pharmacy, Dorling Kindersley, London.
Weiss, R.F. 1991 Herbal Medicine, Beaconsfield Arcanum, Beaconsfield.
Wren, R.C. 1988 Potter's New Cyclopaedia of Botanical Drugs and Preparations, C.W.Daniel,
Saffron Walden.
PLEASE READ THE DISCLAIMER CAREFULLY BEFORE USING INFORMATION CONTAINED
IN THIS ARTICLE: By using the information contained, you signify your assent to this disclaimer. If you
do not agree to this disclaimer, please do not use the information contained in this article. The information
on this article is presented for the educational and free exchange of ideas and speech in relation to health
and wellness only. It is not intended to diagnose or to prescribe anything. It is not intended as a substitute
for the advice and treatment of a licensed professional. In the event that you use the information for your
own health, or for your animal's, you are prescribing for yourself or your animals, which is your
constitutional right and for which the author of this article assumes no responsibility. The author of this
article is neither a legal counselor nor a health practitioner, nor a veterinarian and makes no claims in this
regard. You are welcome to follow the Links, visit the various Web Sites and determine for yourself if the
products are for you. The owner of this article is the author of a book and the Web Site
http://www.ItsForTheAnimals.com © Copyright 1995-2005 Helen L. McKinnon All Rights Reserved
Page 12 of 12