[nagdu] Musicians with Guide Dogs

Heather Hutchison heather at heather-hutchison.com
Sat Nov 15 00:32:05 UTC 2014

Hi Rachel,

I am a professional musician and I worked a guide dog while studying voice in university, so she was at rehearsals/concerts/master classes pretty much every day of her working life (she is now retired). It was really never an issue. Sometimes I would leave her with a friend if I was going to be in the recording studio, because even her shifting position would disrupt the recording and I didn’t always want to leave her in the control room depending on who I was working with, and how long the recording day was going to be. I guess it depends on what kind of ensembles you play in, but I was almost always able to find a place for her next to me at shows and rehearsals. I also worked with her a lot on holding a down-stay and using subtle body language to cue her instead of voice commands so I was very confident that even if she couldn’t be right by my side she would stay put during the performance. If I was hired for a show I never really mentioned that I had a guide dog and nobody ever questioned it as she was never disruptive to the show. She actually seemed to know the difference between shows and rehearsals and would act extra professional. :) Have you talked to your school about your concerns? I mentioned that I was a musician at my home interview and they matched me with a dog whose raiser was also a musician, so she had been on the stage since she was a puppy. It is very doable to work a guide dog and do everything that a musician usually does. Please let me know if you have anymore questions.

-Heather