[nagdu] Musicians with Guide Dogs

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 14:39:57 UTC 2014

Hi Rachel,

I am getting my masters degree in vocal performance and received my
undergrad degree in it as well.  I also sing at church as a soloist
and in the choir.  I'll try to answer some of the above questions and
give you some of my experiences.

My first dog handeled being on stage very very well.  I took her on
stage every single week I sang at church.  She was a part of the
choir.  I also took her on stage for some (not all) choir concerts at
school.  I did this in a couple places where I knew that the audience
wouldn't be able to see her with the stage arrangement we had.  Also,
there were a few concerts in the middle of the day during which it
would have been more difficult to find somewhere to leave her.  I took
her on stage with me for master classes, rehearsals, and even some
staging rehearsals for opera workshop.  I felt more comfortable with
her on stage at the beginning so that I could get used to the layout
of the set.  Of course, during dress rehearsals and most choir
concerts, I left her with a friend or in the dressing room.  I also
did not take her on stage for my junior and senior recitals or when I
sang with the orchestra in undergrad.

I did work her through all my grad auditions.  She laid still through
my University of Iowa audition, and they made me sing like 6 songs.  I
would have auditioned for operas with her by my side.

Here is my opinion on dogs in audition settings: You need to be
comfortable.  If you are comfortable with your dog by your side, take
the dog.  If having the dog there makes you nervous because you're
afraid of the dog moving, don't bring the dog.  You need to show your
best performance in an unfamiliar place and around unfamiliar people
in an audition setting, and if you do this most naturally and
comfortably with your dog, then go with it.  It's not about how you
look, how they will perceive the dog/cane, or about anything else,
except you feeling comfortable and like you can dominate that
audition.

As for costumes, I have never ever had a complaint about dog hair.
Claim your own side of the dressing room (well, maybe a corner, not a
whole side), and use a lint roller.  And know your colors.  Know that
if you have a yellow dog, the black costumes may show the hair.  In an
organized dressing room setting the costumes should be hung up anyway,
and I doubt you would let your dog loose in the room to investigate
and shed all over them.
O, and yes, I have done choreography with my first dog.  It was
entertaining, but it worked more or less.  :)

--
Julie McGinnity
National Federation of the Blind performing arts division secretary,